[CUWiN-Dev] Rev. 4085 disappearing default routes

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Jul 19 20:02:17 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:20:25AM -0500, dan blah wrote:
> On 7/19/06, David Young <dyoung at pobox.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 11:00:09PM -0400, dan blah wrote:
> >> isnt there a switch for that in the upgrade script... to not overwrite
> >> the cuw_config.  maybe a default of appending the new cuw_config to
> >> the old cuw_config with comments and a reminder at the end of the
> >> upgrade stating to check the cuw_config for new changes.
> >
> >In the interests of giving operators an upgrade path, I think it is
> >reasonable for /sbin/upgrade to understand any configuration file that is
> >two minor revisions old, or newer, and convert it to the newest format.
>
> agreed as long as the operator is notified of this.

It is fine to notify that this is happening, but the script is always
going to do a better job than the operator at converting, because
it can contain all of the knowledge of the developer who changed the
configuration format.

> eventually it
> would be nice to see a 'smartened' /sbin/upgrade that would (if no
> switch was provided for what to do with the cuw_config) do a diff on
> the cuw_config and ask the operator what was desired.

I disagree.  The operator does not need any choice but the one we give
him now: either bring the old configuration over, or overwrite the
old configuration with the configuration in the upgrade file.  If the
operator wants to make refinements to a configuration, let him do that
with nodeconfig or vi.

> importantly would just be using the switches to overwrite and letting
> people know with new version announcements that cuw_config vars have
> changed and require attention.

Dan, why do you want to abuse our operators and our developers in this
way? :-) You propose both to complicate the upgrade script by adding
operator choices, and to blithely overwrite an operator's configuration
choices with a warning (read: apology) in the release announcement.
You cruel, cruel man!