[CUWiN-Dev] VoIP Test In Ghana

John Atkinson john.atkinson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 05:51:57 CDT 2006

Ran some VoIP stuff last night using headphone/mic setups and a
shareware app branded SJPhone.  We did it on a ~6km link that has
about 500kbit/s throughput.  The only mods to the CuWinWare were
acknowledgement and clear-to-send timeouts:

# sysctl -w hw.ath0.acktimeout=100
hw.ath0.acktimeout: 48 -> 100
#sysctl -w hw.ath0.ctstimeout=100
hw.ath0.acktimeout: 48 -> 100

I put those commands in rc.conf so my CD booting nodes boot with them
by default (or almost default).

We also changed from SIP to H323 on the SJphone app.  I didn't get a
chance to go back to SIP, but I will.

The voice was perfect, better than a cellphone, err, at least a
Ghanaian cellphone conversation.  But it was nightime, so no
equatorial heat to burn the wifi throughput, and there wasn't much
traffic on the network to compete against.  Also, the connection was a
one-hop, no repeater nodes involved.

We'll start rolling these out to anyone that wants to buy a headset
and until any problems arise.  Not even close to enough satellite
Internet bandwidth to start making calls outside of the mesh (which
will bring in an automatic latency of at least 400ms), but you gotta
start somewhere.

-John