[CUWiN-Dev] dhcpd not running in 0.6.0+

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 00:43:48 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:18:19PM -0600, tom wrote:
> Examining a node which I installed a version of 0.6.0+ on today (given to
> me by Dave, built the 26th) I noticed problems with dhcpd and/or
> dhcpselect. The node isn't giving out dhcp leases. Assigning myself a
> static IP address and ssh'ing into the node I found that dhcpd was not
> running, nor was dhcpselect. dhcpclient was, however. I rebooted and
> attached the node to a network with a dhcp server on it, and it
> successfully received an IP address but isn't properly routing traffic (it
> sets the proper default route, but sends no tcp traffic at all through it
> and /etc/resolv.conf is empty). Trouble's afoot.

How do you know dhcpselect is not running?  pgrep dhcpselect will always
tell you it is not; /etc/rc.d/dhcpselect should tell you the truth.

It may take a while for dhcpselect to settle into a "steady state."
It always starts by running dhclient.

How could you tell no traffic went by the default route?