[CUWiN-Dev] dhcpd not running in 0.6.0+

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 23:27:40 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:49:30PM -0600, T wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:18:19PM -0600, tom wrote:
> > Examining a node which I installed a version of 0.6.0+ on today (given to
> > me by Dave, built the 26th) I noticed problems with dhcpd and/or
> > dhcpselect. The node isn't giving out dhcp leases. Assigning myself a
> > static IP address and ssh'ing into the node I found that dhcpd was not
> > running, nor was dhcpselect. dhcpclient was, however. I rebooted and
> > attached the node to a network with a dhcp server on it, and it
> > successfully received an IP address but isn't properly routing traffic (it
> > sets the proper default route, but sends no tcp traffic at all through it
> > and /etc/resolv.conf is empty). Trouble's afoot.
>
> I had some spooky issues with dhcpd as well. When I first set up my node, it
> would start ok but after a period of time dhcpd either stopped giving out
> leases or stopped running completely (probably both). Since it worked fine
> after a fresh reboot, for me the solution was to just reboot my node. Having
> worked with Windows a lot, I'm used to doing this without a second thought,
> so I never did too much investigating. The spooky part about it is that
> after a few days the issue gradually went away, and now my node keeps giving
> out leases like its supposed to.

dhcpselect will occasionally stop dhcpd, but it should start it
back up again after "a while," where "a while" can be derived from
the sources (src/boot-image/extras/sbin/dhcpselect): looks to me
like dhcpd is shutdown and dhclient started up every 30 minutes.
If dhclient does not get a lease, then dhcpd ought to be started
back up again---looks like dhclient is set to timeout after 10
seconds (see src/boot-image/extras/etc/dhclient.conf.preamble,
src/extras/sbin/dhcpselect), so dhcpd should not be down for too much
longer than that.  If this is not working as advertised, that is certainly
cause for concern.