[CUWiN-Dev] Re: want to help: cuwin on wrt54g/embedded mips

Rob Janes janes.rob at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 03:49:15 CST 2006

David -

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.

one reply below ...

-rob

David Young wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:56:40AM -0500, Rob Janes wrote:
>

>> David, thanks for the pointers. This paragraph from the
>> "summer-of-code" doc/local file seems apropo:
>>

>>> Ports
>>>
>>> Mac OS X
>>>
>>> It's BSD, so it might not be *too* difficult to
>>> port net80211 and the *BSD wireless drivers. Then
>>> we can run hslsd/etx "in the usual way." Lots of
>>> work. Apple should support this development, since
>>> it makes *so* much sense. Sick Sascha on 'em?
>>>
>> Hmmm, so a port to another flavour of BSD is not deemed "piece of
>> cake" but "not *too* difficult".
>>

> That paragraph is talking about porting the 802.11 framework and 802.11
> device drivers from NetBSD to Mac OS X. If that was a piece of cake,
> it would be done already.

What I'm trying to do here is gauge the difficulty of the port. It seems
to me that a port from one version of BSD to another version of BSD
would be easier than a port to a version of linux. So, if a port from
BSD to BSD is deemed "not *too* difficult" and "lots of work" (as
opposed to a piece of cake), then what would a port to linux be? I'm
guessing that's a "difficult", PG14, don't try this at home kind of a
thing.

Well, I never thought it would be easy. Guess I'll have to get a netbsd
system running.