[CUWiN-Dev] Re: want to help: cuwin on wrt54g/embedded mips

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 01:56:29 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:49:15AM -0500, Rob Janes wrote:
> David -
>
> Thanks for the info, it was very helpful.
>
> one reply below ...
>
> -rob
>
> David Young wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 10:56:40AM -0500, Rob Janes wrote:
> >

> >>David, thanks for the pointers. This paragraph from the
> >>"summer-of-code" doc/local file seems apropo:

> >>Hmmm, so a port to another flavour of BSD is not deemed "piece of
> >>cake" but "not *too* difficult".
> >>

> >That paragraph is talking about porting the 802.11 framework and 802.11
> >device drivers from NetBSD to Mac OS X. If that was a piece of cake,
> >it would be done already.
> >

> What I'm trying to do here is gauge the difficulty of the port. It seems
> to me that a port from one version of BSD to another version of BSD
> would be easier than a port to a version of linux. So, if a port from
> BSD to BSD is deemed "not *too* difficult" and "lots of work" (as
> opposed to a piece of cake), then what would a port to linux be? I'm
> guessing that's a "difficult", PG14, don't try this at home kind of a
> thing.

What I am telling you is, you don't have to port the 802.11 framework
and device drivers from the NetBSD kernel to Mac OS X.  You only need
to port hslsd/etx from NetBSD to Linux.  Those are two distinct projects.

Porting hslsd/etx to Mac OS X will be easy, I imagine.

> Well, I never thought it would be easy. Guess I'll have to get a netbsd
> system running.

Not necessarily.  One way to start is to load a BSD make on your Linux
box and try to compile the sources by typing 'make'.  You can find a BSD
make in the pkgsrc.org bootstrap directory.  I like this idea because
you re-use our BSD makefiles.

Another way to start is to create a tree parallel to src/---linux-src/,
say---where you create a hierarchy of GNU makefiles that use VPATH
(or whatever it is called) to reach over to the sources in src/ and
extern-src/.  I don't like this as much as reusing the BSD makefiles,
but it may be more expedient, and at least the GNU makefiles can be
developed independently of the BSD ones.