[CUWiN-Dev] Fail to boot after upgrade

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Oct 31 16:32:17 CST 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 03:58:16PM -0600, Lu-chuan Kung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered a weird problem after upgrading node image on our
> net4826 boards. I'm sure the image file is good because there are other
> nodes who are running on the same image. The boot loader have a
> "Input/output error" when loading the kernel image (/netbsd) on
> /dev/wd0e. I checked the kernel image file by diff and it looks just
> fine. I've noticed that all the problmatic boards have the kernel image
> on /dev/wd0e instead of /dev/wd0a. Can anyone tell me what might cause
> the problem? The following are the booting messages I got after upgrade:

Luke,

I have a hunch that the geometry of the original image and the geometry
of the CF card are mismatched.

If you hold down Spacebar or some other "innocuous" key during boot,
you can get the bootloader to drop to the boot menu.  Then you can type
'boot hd0a:netbsd' to boot the system on the old partition.  Log in as
root (or su to root) and run 'disklabel wd0'.  Send us the output.

Also, send us the output of the Soekris BIOS during boot-up.