[CUWiN-Dev] feature list of updoming cuwin release 0.7.0 (please review and reply)...

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Tue Sep 12 14:00:22 CDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 10:45:33AM -0500, Bill Comisky wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, dan blah wrote:
> >* HSLS bug fixes that improve "routing fidelity" :-) and the daemon's
> >reliability
>
> Are there particular symptoms these fixes alleviate, i.e. dropping default
> routes?

Yes, absolutely.  Just the other day I fixed a bug that was causing
routers to fail to send the "infinite-hop" full linkstate updates.
Eventually, important foreign linkstates (especially "backplane"
linkstates) would expire, and the routing would unravel.

> >* dave please provide a good description of the new hsls log dumping
> >  features

hslsd will write its IPv4 & IPv6 routing tables in /var/db/routes
every few seconds or when you send a SIGUSR2, e.g., pkill -USR2 hslsd.
hslsd writes the linkstates to /var/db/linkstates at the same time.
This all happens "atomically," so the two dumps will be consistent with
each other.  The routing table in /var/db/routes is good for comparing
with Zebra's routing table (telnet localhost 2601; show ip route) to
make sure that Zebra and HSLS agree.

> >*dhcpselect now explicitly tests if an interface provides an Internet
> >gateway and configures the node appropriately.
>
> That could have been the description before as well; the difference is the
> new ping test right?  Is acquiring a dhcp lease still required for the
> node to auto-configure as a gateway?  What happens if the network is meant
> to be an isolated intranet and can't ping google; can the ping test be
> disabled?

The ping test only affects whether we advertise a default route to
other routers using HSLS.  It cannot be disabled.

BTW, I have decided that advertising with HSLS any RFC1918 subnet other
than the ones a CUWiN network synthesizes is sufficiently evil that I
may stop doing it.  Actually, I may have already stopped doing it.