[CUWiN-Dev] Monitor mode with Atheros

Jeongkeun Lee jklee at mmlab.snu.ac.kr
Wed Feb 7 04:10:08 CST 2007

Dave,

My concern in using tcpdump to sniff packets is the timestamp precision.
According to the following mailing list archive,
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/2003/08/msg00411.html
tcpdump time stamp imprecision includes time spent passing the packet
through the networking code and the driver code, as well as, possibly,
through the networking card.

But what I want is the hardware RX timestamp whose precision is in
microsecond level. Reportedly (by some papers and madwifi mailing), Atheros
card provides such precise timestamp of received packets for device driver.
It seems that calling ath_extend_tsf(ah, ds->ds_rxstat.rs_tstamp) returns
the extended 64-bit timestamp from rx descriptor.

As I doubt that tcmdump timestamp is identical with the hardware RX
timestamp, could you shed light on this? :)

I looked at ieee80211_radiotap header and relevant codes but still in dark.

Thank you.
-- Jeongkeun