[CUWiN-Dev] Questions from Robert Buass

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Feb 14 20:11:39 CST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 01:50:28PM -0600, Ross Musselman wrote:
> I just got off the telephone with Robert Buass, who is involved in the
> Sandoval, New Mexico, project. He is interested in running CUWiNware on
> several platforms, including a Gateworks board that has an IPX420
> processor and the Meraki. He asked me to check with our developers about
> several questions:
>
> 1. Will CUWiNware run on the IPX420 processor? Do we had experience with
> Gateworks boards?

I am familiar with the Gateworks Avila boards.  I would really like for
CUWiN to run on them.

I know that recently some support for the IXP420 platform was committed to
NetBSD, so CUWiN will be able to support it.  We will need a sample board.
We will also need to dedicate some developer time to make the Gateworks
Avila a first-class target of the CUWiN build and to make sure we support
all of the on-board devices and expansion buses that Robert needs.

> 2. What is our experience with various minPCI cards? I know that we are
> currently using the CM9s a lot, but are there other cards which are more
> feature rich but are not used due to price?

Good question.  For a premium price, you can buy a card that resembles
the CM9 in many important respects *except* that it transmits at higher
power, or it operates in the 900 MHz band, or both.  We will recommend
one of those cards if Robert's application calls for it.

It appears that there will always be feature-rich cards that we do not
use because documentation and/or quality open-source drivers do not exist.