[CUWiN-Dev] crunched: not quite, very close

Matthew Isaacs isaacsm at cuwireless.net
Fri Feb 23 08:58:32 CST 2007

David Young wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 02:16:41AM -0600, Bryan Cribbs wrote:
>> I'm happy to say that a crunched version of most* of cuwin is 6.5 M.
>> The kernel is itself is about 1 meg on top of that.
>
> This is for MIPS, right?  Regardless, I am impressed.  Good work!
>
>> I've committed this onto a branch, and I am hoping to include the
>> "Makefile.image" step (to be easily loaded on low-resource hardware).
>>
>> ----
>> *this crunch excludes two crucial components: dhcp, and zebra.
>> Neither have been trivial to link into a crunched executable,
>> they desperately need work.
>
> There are no two ways about it: Zebra has to go.  I am not sure what to
> do about DHCP: so essential, so gigantic.
>
> Dave

There are alternatives to ISC-DHCP.  Most are quite a bit smaller.  I
don't think any of them are in the netbsd tree by default, so we would
have to add them in with CUWIN.  One in particular I've been tinkering
with on my home machine is dnsmasq.  Its used by openwrt.  It provides
dns serving and caching, as well as dhcp.  There are others, but this
fusion of functionality seems like it may be desirable.

--
Matt