[CUWiN-Dev] Fwd: Questions about getting CUWIN to run on Meraki Mini

Bao Q. Nguyen bn at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 4 19:24:50 CST 2008

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bao Q. Nguyen <bn at ucsd.edu>
Date: Feb 1, 2008 1:23 AM
Subject: Questions about getting CUWIN to run on Meraki Mini
To: dyoung at cuwin.net

Hi,

I saw your post online, copy below, about someone trying to get NETBSD
to run on the Meraki Mimi. So it seemed that NetBSD is successfully
flashed on the Meraki Mini, i've done this by following the
instructions on the cuwin.net website. Now I'm unable to boot because
there's no root partition, which I'm trying to get through. What's the
possibility of running MFS instead of creating root partition? Or did
I did some wrong that causing MFS to not be use yet? Or is it the
current challenge to fit CUWIN + kernel into the ~6MB avaiable on the
Meraki Mini?

Please see my other email posted to the cuwin-dev list.

thanks,
-bn

POST FROM:
http://www.nabble.com/flashing-linksys-with-netbsd-td12995178.html

flashing linksys with netbsd
Click to flag this post

by Adam Hamsik-2 Oct 02, 2007; 02:53am :: Rate this Message: - Use
ratings to moderate (?)

Reply | Reply to Author | Print | View Threaded | Show Only this Message

Hello folks

I have chosen my  school project,  I will write step by step guide
howto install netbsd on linksys router. But I have some questions.

Informations about my router:

Linksys wrt54GL v1.1

Bootloader     : CFE version 1.0.37 for BCM947XX (32bit,SP,LE)
System-On-Chip : Broadcom 5352EKPB
CPU Speed      : 200 MHz
Flash size     : 4 MB (Intel TE28F320 or Samsung)
RAM            : 16 MB (Hynix HY5DU281622ET)
Wireless       : Integrated Broadcom BCM2050KML
Switch         : Built-in
USB            : None
Serial         : yes (JP2)
JTAG           : assumed on JP1

The WRT54GL v1.1 uses a Broadcom 5352 CPU with integrated switch.

Questions?

1) Do you have some hints how to build and boot netbsd for this platform

  build.sh -m {mipsco|evbmips} tools

  build.sh -m {mipsco|evbmips} distribution

  build.sh -m {mipsco|evbmips} kernel=GENERIC i can customize own
kernel later.

I have to create own kernel wi md device and embed it with own small
filesystem.

2) Any hints how to get network run ? Do we or FreeBSD,OpenBSD have
drivers for that switch ? And what about wifi it is Integrated
Broadcom BCM2050KML.  It would be good to have network running :D
without it I don't see any point why flas netbsd to this router :D
except you want NetBSD paperweight.

Regards
- -----------------------------------------
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad at ...
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto

Re: flashing linksys with netbsd
Click to flag this post

by Martijn van Buul Oct 02, 2007; 05:09am :: Rate this Message: - Use
ratings to moderate (?)

Reply | Reply to Author | Print | View Threaded | Show Only this Message
* Adam Hamsik:

> Hello folks
>
> I have chosen my  school project,  I will write step by step guide
> howto install netbsd on linksys router.

Warning, you might have bitten off more than you can chew :(

> 1) Do you have some hints how to build and boot netbsd for this platform

we don't support it (yet). You'd have to start a new port for it, which is a
lot more work than writing a howto. A *lot* more work. I guess you can
borrow
quite a bit from other mips targets.

> 2) Any hints how to get network run ? Do we or FreeBSD,OpenBSD have
> drivers for that switch ?

Nope. It's a tagged switch, which defaults to isolating all ports, so
without
*some* support for it, the built-in ethernet NIC is useless. To add insult
to injury, the our bce driver (which would *probably* work) has no VLAN
support.

There's no hope from Linux either; even though there are several Linux
distributions out for these critters, they all communicate with the switch
using a binary-only kernel module and proprietary tools.

> And what about wifi it is Integrated  Broadcom BCM2050KML.

Yes, and as such not supported. Open source Linux drivers are rumoured to
exist, but porting them to NetBSD isn't that trivial either.

--
Martijn van Buul - pino at ...

Re: flashing linksys with netbsd
Click to flag this post

by David Young Oct 02, 2007; 01:06pm :: Rate this Message: - Use

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:53:33AM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> I have chosen my  school project,  I will write step by step guide
> howto install netbsd on linksys router. But I have some questions.

Hi Adam,

One of my Google Summer of Code students in 2006, Ada Lim, began porting
to the Asus WL-500G, which must resemble your Linksys WRT54.  I have
the sources, and I will be happy to share them with you.  As I recall,
Ada did not get her Asus router to boot to single-user, and lots has
changed in -current since Ada began her port.

Carefully weigh the costs with the benefits of developing for this
particular platform: the Broadcom chips are poorly documented,
and developing without proper documentation is oftentimes risky and
frustrating.  The capabilities of the Linksys router are rather low:
to the best of my knowledge, nobody runs a useful NetBSD router in 4 MB
Flash and 16 MB RAM; shrinking NetBSD to fit on such a router would be
a major contribution in and of itself.  Also, the availability of the
WRT54GL is not assured.

Producing a driver for the Broadcom wireless may be a lot of pain for
very little gain, depending how you get your kicks :-).  I believe it
deserves to be a separate project.

Let me suggest a few embedded projects that I believe are less risky and
more widely applicable.

       * develop a driver for the NAND Flash storage on the RouterBOARD
         1xx series, www.RouterBOARD.com.  Demo writing a bootable
         NetBSD image to the Flash.  Demo running NetBSD from the flash
         (read-only).

         (RouterBOARD is an open-architecture board with MiniPCI slots
         for wireless cards, et cetera.  The cheapest boards in the
         1xx series have no CompactFlash slot.)

       * shrink NetBSD kernel+userland to fit an affordable router
         where NetBSD already runs, such as the Meraki Mini (~6MB usable
         Flash, 32MB RAM), demonstrating a useful IPv4/IPv6 wireless
         router.  I suggest starting with the NetBSD-based CUWiN "mesh"
         router software, but I am biased. :-)

       * for embedded web apps, create a C-language implementation of
         Template Attribute Language for interpolating values from a
         C program into XHTML webpage templates

dyoung at ...      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24

Parent Message unknown Re: flashing linksys with netbsd
Click to flag this post

by Toru Nishimura Oct 04, 2007; 09:09am :: Rate this Message: - Use
ratings to moderate (?)

Reply | Reply to Author | Print | View Threaded | Show Only this Message
David Young dyoung at ...  said;

> Let me suggest a few embedded projects that I believe are less risky and
> more widely applicable.
>
>        * develop a driver for the NAND Flash storage on the RouterBOARD
>         1xx series, www.RouterBOARD.com.  Demo writing a bootable
>          NetBSD image to the Flash.  Demo running NetBSD from the flash
>          (read-only).
>
>          (RouterBOARD is an open-architecture board with MiniPCI slots
>          for wireless cards, et cetera.  The cheapest boards in the
>          1xx series have no CompactFlash slot.)
... [show rest of quote]

I've ported NetBSD to Mesa Electronics 4C81 PC104plus SBC.  The storage
is 32MB/64MB bare NAND which holds BSDFFS.  Bad blocks are forwarded
by a preconfigured badblock list.  No MTD included.  Bootloader knows and
handles /netbsd.  The NAND block device driver allows writes.  It'd be
likely
to get highly criticized but the decision was made weighing "the rootfs is
seldom written beyond configuration mods by administrators."  Software ECC
is always calc'ed and verified, block write is counted and recorded inside
NAND spare fields.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology

nand flash (was Re: flashing linksys with netbsd)
Click to flag this post

by David Young Oct 04, 2007; 07:16pm :: Rate this Message: - Use

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 12:09:10AM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:

> David Young dyoung at ...  said;
>
> >Let me suggest a few embedded projects that I believe are less risky and
> >more widely applicable.
> >
> >       * develop a driver for the NAND Flash storage on the RouterBOARD
> >        1xx series, www.RouterBOARD.com.  Demo writing a bootable
> >         NetBSD image to the Flash.  Demo running NetBSD from the flash
> >         (read-only).
> >
> >         (RouterBOARD is an open-architecture board with MiniPCI slots
> >         for wireless cards, et cetera.  The cheapest boards in the
> >         1xx series have no CompactFlash slot.)
>
> I've ported NetBSD to Mesa Electronics 4C81 PC104plus SBC.  The storage
> is 32MB/64MB bare NAND which holds BSDFFS.  Bad blocks are forwarded
> by a preconfigured badblock list.  No MTD included.  Bootloader knows and
> handles /netbsd.  The NAND block device driver allows writes.  It'd be
> likely
> to get highly criticized but the decision was made weighing "the rootfs is
> seldom written beyond configuration mods by administrators."  Software ECC
> is always calc'ed and verified, block write is counted and recorded inside
> NAND spare fields.
... [show rest of quote]

How do you handle the bad blocks that develop as the device "wears" ?

dyoung at ...      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24

« Search Nabble for "netbsd configuration meraki"