[CUWiN-Dev] Re: CUWIN on Meraki Mini

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Thu Feb 7 14:31:21 CST 2008

Hi,
I am interested in porting CuWIN to the Netgear WGT634U, which I have
about 30 of, and my friend has about 50 of. They are very similar to the
Meraki Mini and the FON, but better, because they have mini-PCI socketed
Atheros cards and a USB 2.0 controller. Considering the low price of USB
flash these days, I plan on taking advantage of this (I only wish there
were right-angle or short USB extender cables that were cheap - having the
USB flash stick out of the unit like that makes it physically vulnerable
to being bumped).

What I'd like to know, is how to go from NetBSD source to CuWIN - i.e. how
to do the vast amount of binary shrinkage needed to fit on small flash
devices. I know there's a tool, I can't remember the name of it now, that
combines a bunch of BSD binaries into one executable, making it smaller.
But this didn't seem to save much, because of the large size of libraries
needed (Maybe I should have built everything static?).

I am a Linux guy, and know some BSD, but the current broken-ness of
madwifi-ng is making me want to move to the BSD camp, and that means
CuWIN.

There's also a new Atheros based board coming out from linkgear.jjplus.com
which is really nice. The main developer is a friend of mine. I'd like to
be able to get CuWIN and BSD onto that box. He's very much a Linux guy,
I'd like to introduce him to the possibilities of the BSD world (Net,
Open, Free).

-Bob