[CUWiN-Dev] Re: CUWIN on Meraki Mini

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Feb 8 12:01:10 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:29:37PM -0800, Bao Q. Nguyen wrote:
> Bob,
>
> So if David can get CUWIN to compile for the Meraki Mini, which is the same
> MIPS processor that's on the WGT63U (Atheros 2515?) is running so then
> porting CUWIN to the WGT63U should be much simpler.

According to
<http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Netgear/WGT634U>, the
WGT634U is based on a Broadcom CPU.  They change the components of these
products all of the time, so it is possible that some versions contain
an Atheros system on a chip.

The Broadcom platform is cool (has an IPSec coprocessor!), but it
was not open, last time I checked.  Neither is the Atheros platform.
It matters because supporting a closed architecture involves entails a
lot of uncertainty and added expense, and you lose certain opportunities.
Just for example, without documentation, we may never be able to exploit
the Broadcom IPsec accelerator.

I have been recommending that people look at the RouterBOARD 1xx,
5xx, and 3xx series, which are based on Infineon MIPS, IDT MIPS, and
Freescale PowerPC chips, respectively.  Decent docs for those chips
are freely available, and the boards have great integrated peripherals
and expansion.  On my desk, I'm running CUWiN from the CompactFlash slot
on the RouterBOARD 153.  I don't have an RB3xx or RB5xx.

dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24