[CUWiN-Dev] Re: CUWIN on Meraki Mini

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Sat Feb 9 19:28:49 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:05:18PM -0800, Bao Q. Nguyen wrote:
> Thank you very much for looking at it. If you don't have time to complete it
> by tomorrow or other times I would appreciate it if you explain a bit about
> what has to be be done so I can hopefully get on track and assist.
>
> >From what I learned, I'm less confused now about what has to be done but the
> part where I can't compile for the "meraki" architecture with CUWIN code
> kind of stumped me while the netbsd code I was able to use the "-m
> evbmips-eb" as documented. So when one said "compile CUWIN for Meraki" is
> that mean compiling the root partition and binaries for Meraki platform
> correct? Or just the compiling of the binaries while the root partition has
> to be package separately?
>
> Thanks for the confirmation with the NFS, I just though that I was missing
> something but now I know we are on the same page. So with the NFS, the MFS
> is used to create a root file system at boot-time then download files from
> NFS or the entire root is on NFS? If not, what's the possibility of using
> MFS on the Meraki?
>
> Otherwise hope to hear back from you tomorrow!

Sorry, took a longer than I'd expected to test.  Here are a kernel and
an NFS root, respectively, for the Meraki Mini,

ftp://cuw.ojctech.com/cuw/cuwin-923f44b1/kernel-meraki-09-Feb-2008
ftp://cuw.ojctech.com/cuw/cuwin-923f44b1/nfsroot-meraki-09-Feb-2008.tgz

I serve the kernel with TFTP.
That is setup to expect the NFS root at
192.168.1.101:/home/dyoung/meraki-root/.

I use this setup with the ISC DHCP server,

        ddns-update-style none;

        authoritative;

        subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
                option routers 192.168.1.101;
                option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
                range 192.168.1.20 192.168.1.50;
        }

        host meraki {
                hardware ethernet 00:18:0a:01:01:8c;
                fixed-address 192.168.1.5;
                next-server 192.168.1.101;
                filename "meraki";
                option host-name "meraki";
                option root-path "/home/dyoung/meraki-root";
        }

This is just an example; the MAC number of your Mini will probably be
different than mine.

I will send a link to the NetBSD sources that I used under separate cover.
Others should send me an email if they would like for me to send them the
link, too.  I am trying to avoid an arbitrary number of people hammering
our Internet connection with downloads.

Use the latest CUWiN sources in our Subversion repository.  The script
cuw/trunk/src/boot-image/buildnfsmeraki will build a kernel and NFS root
for the Mini.

dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24