[Dryerase] AUC wages “social cleansing”

Shawn G dr_broccoli at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 19 11:15:01 CDT 2002

Asheville Global Report
www.agrnews.org

AUC wages “social cleansing” campaign vs. gays

By Willy Rosencrans

Bogota, Colombia, Aug. 8-- His real name is a secret. Carlos, 26, smiles
uncomfortably and hedges when asked if he can be photographed. He can’t
sleep at home; paramilitaries have his house under constant surveillance.
His voice, when he discusses his work, drops to a whisper if others are
nearby.
"We fear for our lives," he says. "They’re coming to look for us."
Carlos has violated an unwritten law in this city: a law forbidding
homosexuality.
The city of Barrancabermeja is home to some of Colombia’s most resolute and
defiant activist groups. Its history is intimately connected with the birth
of the Union Sindical Obrera (the oilworkers’ union, USO), a powerful and
radical force on the national political scene, famous for standing up to
pressures from both the federal government and multinational oil companies
like Standard Oil. The Organizacion Femenina Popular (Popular Women’s
Organization, OFP) has also been a powerful voice for justice in the region
and has staged some of Colombia’s largest rallies for peace.
But like many local activists, Carlos now lives under the constant threat of
death from the AUC. The paramilitary group made its first inroads here on
Dec. 24, 2000, under cover of the Colombian army’s "Operation Merry
Christmas," which was to guarantee the people of the region a safe holiday.
Over the last year and a half the AUC has increased its control over all but
a few of the city’s neighborhoods and begun a program not only of violent
repression against those who would stand in the way of big money and
political power, but of "social cleansing" reminiscent of the Third Reich,
Carlos’s group, Diversidad Humana (Human Diversity), is more desperate and
lonely than most, and its struggle has gone almost completely unremarked.
"In the neighborhood of La Paz," he whispers, "the paramilitaries surprised
a 14-year-old boy having sex with another male. They stripped him naked and
paraded him through the city wearing a sign that said ‘I’m a faggot.’ He
left… In the neighborhood of Mira Flores lived a lesbian couple. Two
paramilitaries came and forced them to have sex with them to show them what
a real man is like. They had to leave the city, also… A friend of mine was
found dead by the lake with his penis cut off. They left a note: ‘This is
because he was a homosexual.’"
The gay community is shunned, by and large, by Catholic and Protestant
churches alike and by most non-governmental organizations. Recently the OFP
has been letting Carlos sleep and work at one of its community centers.
International accompaniment, which many social justice workers say is the
only way they can do their work with any guarantee of safety, is available
to him from Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) and a few other groups.
But CPT learned last week that the AUC may kill one of its volunteers in
response to the group’s denunciations of human rights abuses. If this
happens, the effectiveness of international accompaniment could be
compromised, and the gay community’s small list of defenses could grow even
smaller.
Homophobia is less problematic in big cities like Bogota, but there, too,
visibility invites danger. On Mar. 1 of this year the house of Manuel
Velandia Mora, an openly gay candidate in Parliamentary elections in
Colombia, was damaged by a grenade. The house also served as a meeting place
for Solidaridad Comunitaria, an organization serving the lesbian, gay,
bisexual, and transgendered community.
In Barranca it’s much worse. The AUC is not above hiring boys to have sex
with men they suspect of being gay. If the tactic is successful, the boys
denounce the men to the paramilitaries, who kidnap or kill them. Tactics
like these serve to create a climate of fear and mistrust, integral to the
weakening of community on which the AUC’s success is contingent.
“The paramilitaries are the hidden force of the army and the police,” says
Carlos, echoing the words of countless citizens in this town and throughout
Colombia. “They want a social cleansing campaign… They just want to
exterminate us. They feel like public homosexuality dirties the name of
Colombia. They want a ‘clean’ Colombia.”
The international community, he says,  needs to put more pressure on the
government of Colombia to uphold the human rights of gays and lesbians.
"We’re normal people," Carlos says. "We deserve respect… We have dreams, and
we need to be able to realize those dreams."