[Dryerase] Alarm!--Wall Street looking like Lombard Street

Alarm!Wires wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Aug 22 21:15:58 CDT 2002

Wall Street is looking a lot like Lombard Street

By Chris Kortright
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor

Capitalist ideologues and neo-liberal theorists always talk about slumps
in the economy. Slumps are a natural part of the “science” that is
claimed to stand behind the machinery of capitalism.  These faithful
followers of the capitalist system talk of the market as if it were a
roller coaster; there are inevitable drops, but these drops lead to
accumulation of capital for the stronger corporations. The leading
priests of capitalism have been trying to keep our faith by telling us
that apparent weaknesses are actually the inherent strengths of the
system.
On August 5, when the Dow closed at 8,044 after a disastrous free fall,
Harvey Pitt, head of the US Securities and Exchange Commission,
proclaimed his faith in the system’s inevitable resurrection. He said,
“I believe that our economy is strong, that we have many fundamentally
sound companies, that we are undertaking significant and far-reaching
reforms and that stock prices in the market will eventually reflect all
the good things that are happening.” This statement was made just after
the Dow Jones slid more then 700 points last July. Can these economic
faith healers explain away the relatively consistent downward trend that
stocks have been taking?
While most people discuss the Dow’s free fall as an indicator of our
present slump, the US Dow Jones Total Market Index (TMI) provides a more
comprehensive marker for economic analysis. The Dow only measures the
stock performance of leading US corporations. The TMI assesses the
overall economic system. According to the Dow Jones website, the TMI
index includes ninety-five percent of the investable market, tracking a
total of 1,650 stocks. In the past year, the Dow only showed a downturn
of seventeen percent whereas the TMI has fallen by twenty-four percent.
The TMI shows a more accurate picture of the market than the Dow, and
gives an image that looks less and less like a roller coaster with its
inevitable upturn. Despite the falsely positive picture presented by the
Dow, our economy and the global market has been in a two-year recession
with no sign of recovery.
In their attempts to save face, corporations have been posting business
expenses as capital expenditures (items included in the profit balance).
This deceptive practice has had a tremendous effect on the market. The
most talked about cases—Enron and WorldCom—are not isolated events.
Xerox, AOL Warner, and Qwest are all under investigation by the US
Department of Justice for similar practices. But with all of these
attacks on the faith of the market, the people hurt the most are not the
stock holders or the CEOs (including those looking at jail time), it is
the workers.
Massive lay-offs follow the profit losses and bankruptcies. WorldCom’s
global operation has already fired 17,000 workers and the numbers are
rising. The lay-offs are not just an issue of US workers. In the past
six months, the Swedish corporation Ericsson fired 25,000 workers,
representing a quarter of their work force; British Telecom fired 13,000
workers; Alcate, a French telecom company, fired 10,000 workers; in
Germany, 12,000 telecom and banking jobs were lost. Looking at these
numbers is frightening, but the workers that are hit hardest during
market down turns are not banking and telecom workers, it is the
manufacturing sector.
The manufacturing sector has borne the brunt of the market crisis. In
Britain, 400,000 manufacturing jobs were lost in the past three years,
representing ten percent of the work force. The same trends are accruing
here in the US. Six months ago, the Ford Motor Company announced that
they had a “bloated” work force. Ford promptly took care of business,
closing five plants and firing 35,000 workers. As you read this, the
International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) is negotiating (or
trying to negotiate) with the ports to limit automation that would
severely cut longshore workers. US unemployment is projected to reach
six and a half percent by fall. Things are getting worse.
The analogy of a roller coaster to represent capitalism’s up and down
turns no longer works. Wall Street and the global capitalist system is
starting to look a lot more like Lombard Street to me. Lombard is a
steep curvy street that tour guides in San Francisco refer to, jokingly,
as the crookedest street in the world—except for Wall Street. On a
roller coaster, we are strapped into our seats at the whim of the
system. But really, capitalism is much more like a car without brakes on
Lombard Street. If we stay in the car we will inevitably die. However,
we do have the option to pull hard on the steering wheel and remove
ourselves from this death-trap known as capitalism.

   All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.

-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office