[Dryerase] The Alarm!--Green Consumerism

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Nov 14 22:31:08 CST 2002

Shopping our way to a better world?
Can “green consumerism” save the planet while ensuring social justice?

By Fhar Miess
The Alarm! Newspaper Collective

As Kevin Danaher and Medea Benjamin, founders of Global Exchange, are
quick to point out, it’s not often that you’ll find multinational
automobile manufacturer Toyota Motor Corporation sharing an exhibition
hall with the radical environmental group Earth First!, but this is
precisely the scenario produced by the organizers of the Green Festival
in San Francisco this last weekend (November 9–10).

The festival was meant to highlight the movement for sustainable
economies, ecological balance and social justice and was jointly
organized by Global Exchange, Co-op America and Bioneers, mainstays of
that movement establishment in the US.  Organizers brought together an
eclectic mix of purveyors of fair trade coffee, fair trade and
“eco-friendly” textiles and crafts, solar panels, “sustainable” lumber
and building materials, “clean” transportation solutions and health
foods, along with environmental foundations, “sustainable” investment
advocates, consumer and worker cooperatives, social justice groups,
body workers and spiritual healers.

While the majority of the exhibition hall was devoted to the buying and
selling of merchandise—with the typical trade fair noisy ambiance of
industry folk talking shop, PA system interruptions and offers of free
samples—the festival also featured a line-up of speakers, including
such vehement anti-corporate voices as Amy Goodman of “Democracy Now,”
and Alexander Cockburn, co-editor of CounterPunch.

Several of the featured “partners” of the event were large
multinational corporations, Toyota of San Francisco being the most
obvious with two hybrid cars on the exhibition hall floor.  Across the
aisle from Toyota’s exhibit was that of Stonyfield Farms, the nation’s
fourth largest yogurt company, which uses organic milk.  Stonyfield’s
CEO, Gary Hirschberg, recently followed the lead of Ben Cohen (who also
attended the festival) and Jerry Greenfield of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream
in selling a chunk of his company to a large corporation.  Unlike Cohen
& Greenfield, who sold their entire operation to Unilever, the largest
packaged foods company in the world (which incidentally acquired
Slimfast diet products on the same day), Hirschberg agreed only to sell
a minority 40% stake in his company to Group Danone, the largest dairy
company in the world, so he could remain in control.

Still, Hirschberg is unapologetic about joining forces with the
corporate bigwigs.  In a recent article he writes, “I must admit that
becoming part of the mainstream, while aesthetically unappealing, has
nevertheless been THE goal.”  Hirshberg’s goal, like that of many of
his business colleagues represented at the Green Festival, is first and
foremost to capture market share.  If it can be done with a
“sustainable” food source, then so much the better.

Chris Pomfret, Brands Director of Birds Eye Walls, Unilever’s Frozen
Food products company in the UK, went further to state that
sustainability is not important simply because eco-friendly and healthy
products can be marketed at a premium, but because the very survival of
the company depends upon sustainability.  In a March 2002 speech, he
declared, “if our business is to continue, then we need to sustain our
sources of supply and the only way to do that is to make them
sustainable.”

But that self-preservation is not just an abstract corporate response,
it is also the personal response of individual business people.
Jeffery Hollender, CEO of Seventh Generation, spoke at the Green
Festival on the subject of “capitalism at a crossroads.”  Near the
beginning of his presentation, he posed the question, “is capitalism
itself the problem?  Should we be looking for some other structure?  My
answer is no,” he said.  “I mean, I’m a business person, and I benefit
from the system that in some ways I don’t like, but I’m not ready to
throw it away.”

To be fair, Hollender, like most well-off green business people, does
exhibit a sincere concern for some ecological and social justice
values; otherwise, they never would have made it through the screening
process that potential Green Festival vendors had to pass through.  But
the personal and institutional investment of Hollender and his
colleagues in a capitalist economy puts him at odds with many of the
anti-corporate and anti-globalization activists at the festival.

So, why were these eco-friendly, pro-business firms willing to share
the event with people who consider their consumer capitalist practices
antithetical to lasting social justice and ecological diversity?
According to Medea Benjamin of Global Exchange, organizers of the event
“never hid the politics of the event and…many of the businesses that
participated felt that that was OK.  Many of them are in total
agreement and those who aren’t I still think felt it was an important
demographic group for them to reach.”

And this marketing potential cuts both ways.  Patrick Reinsborough, an
ecology activist, explored the flip side: “it’s an interesting model to
create events that really appeal to a mainstream niche, to have a trade
show and even the crass ‘come do your Christmas shopping and buy
environmentally-friendly products’ and bring in a wide group of people
with that and then hit them with a much deeper message.”

As he points out, however, “it’s possible to achieve an ecologically
sane world that’s not necessarily democratic or just.…I’m trying not to
be dismissive of the kind of organizing that happens around green
consumerism but to figure out how we can bridge this entry point for a
lot of middle-class American people and make sure that we’re actually
exposing them to a deeper analysis.”  He suggests that examples such as
the movements of landless peasants, small farmers and indigenous people
might lead to such an analysis:  one that points to the need for
alternative economic arrangements that honor human and ecological value
over that of capital.

While the environmental movement takes a great deal of flak for levying
plenty of criticisms without suggesting any solutions, Reinsborough
notes that “corporations are largely appropriating the sort of
solution-oriented end of the environmental movement,” for instance, the
solutions of smaller ecological design vendors present at the festival.
  This appropriation puts activists even more on the defensive.

The jumbled mix of politics and commerce made this festival no
exception.  Reinsborough told of how he had forgotten his wallet on his
way to the festival, so he had no option of buying anything.  “It made
me acutely aware,” he says, “of how little interaction there actually
was aside from buying and selling.”

Chris Carlsson, who was one of the people to first popularize the
Critical Mass bicycle ride in San Francisco ten years ago, was also at
the festival, and he shared some of his own thoughts on the event:
“There’s no critique that there might be something wrong with the
buying and selling of the products of human labor or of human time
itself.  There’s no critique of wage labor or anything else.…On the
other hand,” he says, for people who are new to green consumerism, “I
would argue that this [event] probably has a radicalizing impact, where
people can see how many alternatives there really are, already present,
technologically and socially, that represent themselves here through
the strange veil of capitalist greenage.”

However, he counters, “I’m quite sure we won’t shop our way to a better
world.”

“The reproduction of ‘fair’ business practices, as opposed to
NON-business practices seems to me to speak more to the problem than
the solution,” says Carlsson.  “I like things where people are able to
engage in direct connections and make alternatives in a way that
escapes the logic of buying and selling.  It’s not always easy to do
because you’re always stuck paying the bills, as I am, too.  But when
people can break out of that logic, they get a taste of something
different and it leads in a more radical direction, psychologically,
much more quickly.”

      All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.