[Dryerase] The Alarm!--How fair is Fair Trade?

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Thu Nov 14 22:31:08 CST 2002

How Fair Is Fair Trade?

By Carlos Armenta
Translated By Armando Alcaraz
The Alarm! Newspaper contributor

The green mountains in the north of Nicaragua offer a friendly welcome
to visitors. The greenery and lushness of the region, where one finds
the town of Matagalpa, gives the visitor an impression of exceptional
richness and fertility. However, contrary to what one might think, this
region is one of the poorest in all Nicaragua, a country that has the
distinction of being one of the poorest in the western hemisphere.

The reason behind the deep contrast between the potential wealth in
such a fertile land and the extreme poverty which most of its
inhabitants suffer, is the sharp fall of the price of the main product
of the area: the grano de oro or “the grain of gold,” the name given to
the coffee bean when it is ready to be roasted. The golden coffee beans
are sent to the roasters in the countries that consume the best quality
coffee.

During the fifth annual assembly of CECOCAFEN (Center of Cooperative
Coffee Growers of the North), an organization that commercializes the
coffee produced by the cooperatives that belong to it, many coffee
growers of Matagalpa offered their impressions on the difficult
situation of the Nicaraguan coffee growers and on the real benefits
received by those who, like them, can market their coffee as Fair Trade.

The generalized opinion of the CECOCAFEN members was that Fair Trade is
not that fair. According to José Cornejo and Victorino Peralta, members
of the La Providencia Cooperative of Wiwili, the maximum price that
they receive for a “quintal” (1 quintal=100 lbs.) of unroasted coffee
is $141.

“The buyers pay us $1.40 per pound—in the best of cases—and the final
consumer pays $1.50 per _cup_ of coffee,” said Peralta, pointing out
that a pound of coffee can make from twenty to forty cups of coffee.
Also, the individual grower only receives $96 per quintal after the
CECOCAFEN subtracts market expenses and five additional dollars that go
to a social fund, used for public social works in the coffee growers’
communities. In addition, according to Peralta, if one factors in the
production expenses, which with organic coffee are approximately $0.45
per pound, the grower ends up making only about half a dollar per pound
of coffee.

Even comparing the price per pound of Nicaraguan Organic Fair Trade
Coffee in Santa Cruz, which sells for $8.95 per pound at the Santa Cruz
Coffee Roasting Company, with the $1.40 that the buyers (in many cases
the roasters buy the coffee directly from the grower) pay to
well-organized cooperatives such as CECOCAFEN, it is possible to
understand why the growers often say “Fair Trade is not that fair.”

“And that is only if we do it inside the Fair Trade, which requires our
coffee to be 100% organic and of better quality,” said Peralta.
Cornejo, in a sarcastic tone of voice, refers to the coffee growers who
sell through Fair Trade as the privileged. “There are people, even
inside our cooperatives, who have an even worse situation,” said
Cornejo, as he introduced us to Fabiana López Arauz, a member of the
cooperative in La Pozolera, a municipality of Waslala.

López Arauz, a widow and a mother of seven, explains that her husband
died during the civil war, when the “contras,” supported by the US
government, tried to take the power from the Sandinistas by means of
force. López Arauz told us that she is the owner of a small piece of
land of about two acres, on which she sometimes grows 65 quintales of
coffee per season, but sometimes she can barely grow three quintales.
Even thought López Arauz has never used chemical products to produce
her coffee—she has always used cheaper organic fertilizers and
insecticides—they still don’t certify her coffee as organic. “They pay
me $0.60 per pound (without production costs) and that is barely enough
to survive. I have the hope of being certified organic next year so
that I can sell my coffee at a better price…but they are also saying
that the price could go even lower.”

The international price of coffee in the stock market of New York is at
a historical low, and it is not expected to climb in the short term. If
not part of an organization, a small coffee grower in Nicaragua only
gets, on average, $0.45 per pound for non-organic coffee, when the
production costs for this type of coffee are about $0.60 per pound.

As Cornejo says, “the fact that we are organized, that CECOCAFEN has
the necessary infrastructure to offer select coffee, clean, organic,
and of the best quality, and that we have sampling laboratories (where
they determine the quality and flavor of the coffee), gives us the
possibility of making the minimum income that allows us to survive.
However, there are many small growers who don’t have the same
possibilities because they are not organized.”

Peralta is saddened by the reality of the market. “The price we get
paid keeps going down and the price that consumers pay in rich
countries keeps going up. Even being a member of CECOCAFEN, I can only
sell a small part of my coffee as Free Trade. Even though it is not
that fair, at least I can, if badly, make ends meet,” said Peralta.

The consensus amongst the producers is that Free Trade should continue,
but that both the coffee marketers and the consumers in developed
countries should become aware that Fair Trade should be fairer to be
able to justify its name and its price.

As Cornejo explains, “Fair Trade will be fair only when the growers
gets to keep at least 40% of the earnings from their own coffee, which
is very far from happening when one looks at the numbers.”

       All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except
where noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed
freely in whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial
purposes or by government agencies.