[Dryerase] Teamsters Local 705 denounces war plans

Asheville Global Report editors at agrnews.org
Fri Oct 25 18:09:55 CDT 2002

Teamsters Local 705 denounces war plans

By Shawn Gaynor

Asheville, North Carolina, Oct. 23 (AGR)— In a reflection of the clearly
growing sentiment against war on Iraq, the country's second largest
Teamsters local, based in Chicago, Illinois, denounced Bush’s plans for a
war on Iraq. The resolution, passed Oct. 20, was brought by handlers from
the CACH and Jeff St. UPS facilities, and states that “Teamsters local 705
stands firmly against Bush’s drive for war.”

The resolution was passed at a membership meeting attended by roughly 400
Teamsters, and was only discussed for about 10 minutes before passing with
only one member casting a dissenting vote.
“There was not very much discussion on it because there was no dissent,”
stated Paul Waterhouse, a 705 official, who added that there were many
Vietnam veterans who had served in the US Army and Marine Corps present at
the meeting.
The Teamsters, whose transportation industry jobs are tied closely to oil
prices state in the opening of the resolution: “we value the lives of our
sons and daughters, of our brothers and sisters more than Bush’s control of
Middle East oil profits.”

“We have no quarrel with the ordinary working-class men, women, and
children in Iraq who will suffer the most in any war,” the resolution
continues.
The measure raises concerns that the cost of the war will take away
billions of dollar from social spending on schools, hospitals, housing, and
social security.
In a clause representing the union’s belief about the motives behind the
proposed war, Local 705 states: “Bush’s drive for war serves as a cover and
distraction for the sinking economy, corporate corruption, lay-offs, and
Taft-Hartley [used against the locked out ILWU longshoremen].”

“This is the start of doing anti-war work, not the finish,” said Kieran
Knutson, a steward at the Jeff St. UPS who co-sponsored the resolution.
“Union resolutions, by themselves, don’t mean anything unless they are used
by activists in the workplace to build sentiment and action against the war.”

The 21,000 member union local intends to talk to other Teamsters locals in
the area about their concerns about a possible war on Iraq.
“We hope this resolution encourages other workers to adopt similar
resolutions and encourages the growth of anti-war activities in the labor
movement,” concluded Knutson.
To support Local 705 in its stance contact their office at 312-738-2800