[Dryerase] AGR Local anti-war

Asheville Global Report editors at agrnews.org
Thu Oct 31 13:20:11 CST 2002

Reprinting permitted by non profit organizations and members of the
Dry-erase news wire
Asheville Global Report
www.agrnews.org

Asheville protests in solidarity with international day of opposition to war

By Shane Perlowin

Asheville, North Carolina, Oct. 26 (AGR)— As hundreds of thousands of
people took to the streets in cities around the world to oppose the Bush
administration’s push towards a war with Iraq, dozens of Asheville citizens
also raised their voices.
Approximately 40 people took part in a Critical Mass bicycle ride that
snaked its way through the streets of downtown for over two hours. Cyclists
chanted, “Ride your bikes more and more, no one wants this oil war!” They
waved flags that read “no oil war” and “war is also terrorism.” Numerous
bystanders and motorists cheered and honked their car horns in support of
this spectacle of dissent.
A moment of irony occurred as the protest passed by the Asheville Civic
Center, where a gun show was taking place, and people were walking down the
street with  newly purchased rifles and machine guns in plain view.
The ride ended at the Vance Monument, joining up with an anti-war rally
that was already in progress. Traffic through Pack Square was briefly shut
down as the riders circled through the intersection of Broadway-Biltmore
Avenue and Patton Avenue.
Asheville resident Karen Lore, who brought her 9-year-old son, Troy, and
her 13-year-old son, Ronny, to the rally said, “We want to encourage people
to stand up and resist this war, and the illegitimate government we have in
place. We want people to take to the streets.” When asked what they thought
about participating in the protest, both youths replied, “It’s awesome!”
Explaining what brought him out on the streets, Tom Wells, carrying a
placard that read “No Blood For Oil”, said, “I think this war is a really,
really bad idea. It’s about oil. Rather than going and taking a precious
resource, we should work on conserving it at our end.”
Photographer Gary Hemsoth, 50, pointed out that, in addition to the
conquest of oil, George W. Bush “wants to avenge his daddy. Because Saddam
embarrassed daddy, now we’ve got to go and make things right.” His comments
were in reference to President Bush’s statement in early October, when, as
a justification for invading of Iraq, he said of Saddam Hussein, “This guy
tried to kill my dad.”
After about an hour of sign waving and chanting at Pack Square, a march
formed that slowly made its way through downtown. The Black Lung Brass
Band, consisting of tuba, trombone, two trumpets, French horn, clarinet,
bass drum, snare drum, and kazoo, played New Orleans-style funeral dirges
and marching tunes.
An impromptu rally was held at Pritchard Park before the throng of
marchers, cyclists, and musicians continued their trek, bystanders swelling
their ranks as they moved through the city streets. Demonstrators
symbolically smashed a pink plastic toy machine gun at the intersection of
Haywood and Battery Park before heading back to Pack Square. The police
were conspicuously absent during the day’s events, although undercover
officers were seen taking photographs.
The Bush administration continues to push for war in spite of significant
domestic and international opposition to a “preemptive” invasion of Iraq.