[Dryerase] Fwd: [Dryerase-d] AGR DC Anti-war protests

Shawn G dr_broccoli at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 31 14:45:07 CST 2002

Re-printing by non-profits and members of the dry-erase news wire
permitted

Asheville Global Report
www.agrnews.org

DC hosts largest anti-war protest in US since Vietnam

By Celene DeLoach and Willy Rosencrans

Asheville, North Carolina, Oct. 28 (AGR) –  Hundreds of thousands
gathered in streets across the US on Oct. 26, the one-year
anniversary of the passage of the USA PATRIOT Act, to protest the
Bush administration’s impending invasion of Iraq. International
ANSWER, the group which called for the day of protests, said the numbers far
exceeded their expectations.
Between 150,000 and 200,000 people gathered in Washington, DC’s
Constitution Gardens, making it DC’s largest anti-war demonstration
since Vietnam. The demonstration culminated in a march that
encompassed nearly 30 blocks before drawing to a close; when
marchers at the front of the procession returned to Constitution
Avenue on their way back, they had to wait to allow demonstrators at
the tail of the march to pass. Police blocked protesters from
approaching the White House; three arrests were made.
Protesters voiced a variety of concerns about a US offensive against
Iraq. Some felt that it drew attention from increasingly worsening
economic woes at home.
“This Iraq war is 100 percent bullshit,” said Martin Freed of No
Nukes North in Fairbanks, AK. “It’s a political ploy to take
people’s minds off the loss of social services and civil rights in
our country and the failed ‘terror war.’”
Tina Plummer, of Fayetteville, NC, agreed. “I haven’t met many
people who are in favor of a military offensive. They’re more
concerned about jobs. We’re in an economic slump.”
Others focused on the international ramifications of an offensive.
Suk Jong Hong, of the Korean community development group Nodutdol
(Stepping Stone), came from New York with a group of Koreans and
Korean-Americans to draw connections between the US occupation of
Korea and the probable aftermath of a US invasion of Iraq.