[Dryerase] Alarm!--Volunteerism

The Alarm!Newswire wires at the-alarm.com
Fri Sep 6 22:48:53 CDT 2002

Volunteerism will save America?
By Chris Kortright
The Alarm! Newspaper Contributor

EDITOR’S NOTE: In surfing the internet recently, contributor Chris
Kortright came across the Citizen’s Corp website hosted by the US
government. These were his thoughts on that discovery.

Your country has never needed you more. —John Ashcroft from the Citizen
Corps’ Citizens’ Preparedness Guidebook

George W. Bush has told the American public that volunteerism is one of
the many answers to the terrorist threats we presently face. In his
speeches and diatribes, we hear a ringing resemblance to John F.
Kennedy’s “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can
do for your country.” So then, what exactly are we asked to do for this
country? How is one to volunteer for this great nation?

Well, according to the government web site there is a whole list of
chores that daddy federal government wants us to do.  Under “Help Your
Country,” we are told that the first thing we can do is Invest in
America.  And no surprise to the local skeptic, we are asked to buy
Patriot Bonds. But let’s say that, like me, you are not a wealthy
person. Is there a way to support the “War on Terrorism” and our
government’s “Homeland Security?” Lucky for us there is, and it is a
practice that most of us working class people are very used to doing
—Work for the USA.

Work for the USA? Isn’t that what I do every day when I go to work? I
certainly don’t work for myself. So, what kind of jobs are out there
for those of us who desire to work for the good ol’ US of A? Just a
quick scan down the list of “jobs” shows that all the opportunities are
military and law enforcement related. The list is quite long and
diverse if you have authoritarian or militaristic instincts: Army,
Navy, Air Force, Marines. But the list doesn’t stop there, there are so
many “job” options: work for the INS, the Federal Air Marshals, the FBI
or even the National Guard.

If working isn’t your thing or maybe you are already too busy working,
you can still help your country. There are still a few more chores that
need to be done….

First, you can be a snitch. You know one of those people in prison who
gets out early for telling the guards what they heard during pillow
talk, or who is smuggling in drugs. Or if you relate to movies more,
the gangster who kills seven people and then walks free because he
tattletales to the federal government what  his bigger brother did over
the past four years. You could become one of them. There are all sorts
of hotlines and mug shots that we the public have access to (you can
even earn up to $2.5 million being a snitch).

Second, you can Fly the American Flag. The government recommends
“Printable American Flag Images” or “Design a Pentagon Memorial,” but I
bet they would be just as happy with an old-fashioned cotton flag.

There is still one more option—the  Citizen Corps. What are they, you
ask? They are an organization of volunteers; actually they are THE
organization of volunteers according to Bush. Volunteer you say? Like
feeding the homeless, taking care of children or the elderly? Well,
this organization is a bit different than the local soup kitchen. But,
you say, I’ve volunteered before and loved it. It’s right up my alley,
the whole militarism and snitching thing isn’t for me. So you ask, what
is the Citizen Corps all about?

The Citizen Corps was set up right after 9/11. It is a “network of
volunteer efforts” that will “harness the power of the American people
by relying on their individual skills and interests to prepare local
communities to effectively prevent and respond to the threats of
terrorism, crime, or any kind of disaster.” So, how does this network
“harness the power of the American people?” They have established
volunteer programs for you to plug into: Community Emergency Response
Teams, Neighborhood Watch Program, Volunteers in the Police Service,
Medical Reserve or Operation TIPS.

“In the aftermath of September 11, 2001, the need for strengthening and
securing our communities has become more critical.” So, enter the
Neighborhood Watch Program. The Neighborhood Watch Program is where
community residents will be provided with information so they can
“recognize signs of potential terrorist activity”—like the young Arab
man outside of Chicago who had the cops called on him as he sat in his
car in front of the house he had lived in for eight years. The Citizen
Corps makes sure you understand that the Neighborhood Watch Program is
not “vigilantism.” If this sounds a little too renegade for you, you
can just volunteer directly to the Police Services, where you would do
the same things just with the cops looking over your shoulder.

If Work for the USA and the Citizen Corps sounds like the same program,
you’re right. To work for your country in the Bush sense, you need to
become a cop or a snitch. None of these jobs help the people of this
country, or people in other countries for that matter. They help the
government in its attempts to control its own citizens and the citizens
of other countries. Which is a problem for me, and I hope you as well.
But there is a way to help people who live in this country and abroad.
Volunteer to challenge the permanent war our government is engaged in,
fight against the economic system the keeps those of us in the US and
abroad in bondage, or work in solidarity with individuals who are under
racist attacks within your community. There is a way that volunteering
can made the individuals of this country safe—volunteer against the
economic and social system that represses us all.

    All content Copyleft © 2002 by The Alarm! Newspaper. Except where
noted otherwise, this material may be copied and distributed freely in
whole or in part by anyone except where used for commercial purposes or
by government agencies.

-----
The Alarm! Newspaper
a local weekly newspaper for an engaged populace

http://www.the-alarm.com/
info at the-alarm.com
P.O. Box 1205, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
(831) 429-NEWS - office