[Gghc-discuss] What I did to get git working

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:38:13 CDT 2011

Missing bits:

git is a distributed version control system. All repositories are equal
to git. git allows you to communicate changes from your local repository
to one on a server, or to one on a flash drive, or another developer's
machine. So,

git commit -m "My awesome commit message"

only commits changes to your local repository. It doesn't automatically
send those changes to another repo. In order to do that, your local repo
must know about any other repos you want to communicate with. You can
see all the remotes that 'duinolab' is configured to communicate with by
running

git remote -v

Right now, it's only configured to communicate with one repository: the
one in redmine. This creates a very server/client-like workflow akin to
Subversion, just a little more manual. So,

git push

Takes all your local changes and communicates them all to the redmine repo.

Similarly, you can sync and merge all the changes that other users have
pushed to the redmine repo back to your repo with

git pull

Does that help? I'm by no means the most experienced git user, but I'm
learning fast.

Brian

On 4/20/11 4:24 PM, Jonathan Manton wrote:
> I spent a bit of time on this, so thought I'd just send this out to the
> list.
>
> First, all our redmine stuff for this project is now at
> http://tech.chambana.net/projects/duinolab
>
> To get git (the source control system we're using) working with redmine,
> you have to first set up your secure key.  That is done by logging in to
> redmine, then going to the "my account" link in the top right of the
> screen, then there will be a little link (part of the green bar) that
> says "public keys".  You need to enter an RSA public key in there.  The
> link I used to describe this is at
> http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/ (go down to "Next: Set Up SSH
> Keys").
>
> You then need to get a copy of the branch.  You do that by typing (on
> the same computer that you have your private RSA key installed):
> git clone git at tech.chambana.net:duinolab
>
> That will create a directory called duinolab that has all the code for
> the project on your local machine.
>
> Then you modify stuff.  Stuff you *create* needs to be added explicitly
> using
> git add <filename or directoryname>
>
> I'm a bit hazy on the next part, but here's what I did.  When you are
> ready to re-commit and merge your changes, you can type
> git commit -m 'some comment about what is in the revision'
> (changing the obvious part).
>
> For me, I then had to do:
> git push
>
> Someone else should fill us in on what the git commit vs. git push
> does.  I'm an svn guy, and don't really know much about git.

Brian Duggan
Technical Projects Developer
UC Independent Media Center
http://www.ucimc.org | 631 223 8442