[Gghc-discuss] What I did to get git working

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 20 16:24:41 CDT 2011

I spent a bit of time on this, so thought I'd just send this out to
the list.

First, all our redmine stuff for this project is now at http://tech.chambana.net/projects/duinolab

To get git (the source control system we're using) working with
redmine, you have to first set up your secure key.  That is done by
logging in to redmine, then going to the "my account" link in the top
right of the screen, then there will be a little link (part of the
green bar) that says "public keys".  You need to enter an RSA public
key in there.  The link I used to describe this is at http://help.github.com/linux-set-up-git/
  (go down to "Next: Set Up SSH Keys").

You then need to get a copy of the branch.  You do that by typing (on
the same computer that you have your private RSA key installed):
git clone git at tech.chambana.net:duinolab

That will create a directory called duinolab that has all the code for
the project on your local machine.

Then you modify stuff.  Stuff you *create* needs to be added
explicitly using
git add <filename or directoryname>

I'm a bit hazy on the next part, but here's what I did.  When you are
ready to re-commit and merge your changes, you can type
git commit -m 'some comment about what is in the revision'
(changing the obvious part).

For me, I then had to do:
git push

Someone else should fill us in on what the git commit vs. git push
does.  I'm an svn guy, and don't really know much about git.