[Gghc-discuss] Proposed initial purchase - too much?

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 30 17:01:43 CDT 2011

I put together a Google Docs spreadsheet with my proposed initial
purchase of stuff.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Atq-9wMS4xTIdGVpbnhuMmpOVmo2cGFHWEliYlBsbEE&hl=en&authkey=CNuInqUO
  (read-only link - send me your email and I'll share it with you read/
write - didn't want to open it up to public edits).

As an explanation, the "base station" is the part that hooks up to the
laptop, the "proto robot" is a fully-functional robot with motors and
such, the "pseudo-robot" is a robot without a base or motor (but with
battery/charger) that we can move around by hand, and the "training
station" is an Arduino + XBee (no battery), for use in learning about
the Arduino.  The "pseudo-robot" and "training station" can be turned
into full robots later with the addition of a base, motors, motor
controller, and battery (for the training station).

It comes out to $451.93, which is a distressingly-high percentage of
our overall budget of $900.  And that is before shipping, which will
probably be $30-$40 if we get 2-day shipping (the order comes from two
different vendors, $15-$20 each, 2-day so we can start this weekend or
Monday at latest).

Two things that have kind of high costs are the Arduino board ($30
ea.) and the XBee module + shield + headers ($50).

We need to decide as a group how we want to end up spending the $900
(at a high level).

(option 1)
On one extreme, if we went with the configuration I'm proposing for
everything (we don't build custom hardware at all), then each base
station costs $51.85, each robot costs $191.64, which means we would
have enough for the two base stations and 4 robots.

(option 2)
At the other extreme, the base stations cost the same, but we design
the robots from scratch (no prototype platform), and can probably cut
the robot cost down to about $100 each.  We'd end up with two base
stations and 8 robots.  But then we have no Arduino boards for people
to learn with, and probably 2 weeks lead time (minimum) before we'd
have the first prototype robot up and running.

(option 3)
The middle route is to go ahead with this initial order.  We'd have
about $420 left (depending on how much shipping is).  That leaves
enough for the other base station ($51), enough to turn the "training
station" and "pseudo robot" into real robots (~$70, since they both
already have an Arduino and XBee), and build 3 robots from scratch at
$100 each.  At the end we'd end up with 6 robots and the base stations.

(many more options possible - this is just what I came up with)

My personal opinion on this is I don't want to buy everything (option
1) because I want to help design the custom robot and make the circuit
boards and stuff (this is what Erich articulated yesterday and I
strongly agree with him).  But I don't think we should try so hard to
save money by going with the cheapest route (option 2) that we run out
of time (and have half the people on the project waiting around with
nothing to do until the robots are built, and put pressure on the
people doing the hardware design... in parallel with getting ready for
Mini Maker Faire U-C).  Even though this consumes more than half our
budget up-front, I'd advocate for the middle road (option 3), and go
ahead and make this purchase now.

One thing we *could* do to save money is not get the LiPo battery
packs, charger, or switching regulator, and instead use 4 AA batteries
for each robot.  This would save about $80 from the initial order
(which is then compensated by having to buy batteries).  That might be
OK for development, but for the final product we want batteries that
are light and can go through lots of charge/discharge cycles, rather
than disposable AA batteries.  Even rechargeable batteries will be
kind of a pain to deal with if they have to be removed to be recharged
- 6 robots x 4 batteries each is a lot of rechargeable AAs to manage.

Personally I don't think getting AA batteries rather than rechargeable
LiPoly batteries is a good idea, because we'd then end up spending
money on something that is consumable (batteries).  In the stuff I'm
recommending, everything is used for the end product - there are no
parts that are used *just* for development (with the exception of a
couple of USB cables maybe).