[Gghc-discuss] Proposed initial purchase - too much?

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:23:46 CDT 2011

Cool on speccing this out! Thanks for looking at this. I have some concerns
though. Generally, SparkFun and RobotShop are kind of expensive for some
thins. Some more specific comments:

* There are better prices on xbee and xbee arduino shields out there.
(closer to $40 for the combo than $48). Even more affordably -- is there
really that much work into breadboarding an xbee to an arduino?

* Getting motor controllers and just breadboarding them to be arduino
controlled will probably cost $10 (or less) per prototype robot, and only
take an extra few minutes to set up.

* Are there robot platforms that are not machined for the arduino, but
perhaps just motors and wheels, or even better, motors, motor controllers
and wheels, which we can just drive with digital logic? Making a mount hold
an arduino is one of those really easy things we can do "good enough for
prototyping" and maybe spend a lot less money.

* The price of each of those upconverting power supplies is greater than the
cost of a second battery in series. We can take care of the extra voltage
easily with a voltage divider or voltage regulator for like $.50 .

* Paying $4 per mini-usb cable is insane. You can get the same cable from
monoprice.com for $1.

My overall point here is that I know we need to get this going now, but
taking a few minutes to shop around for good prices, and taking a few
minutes to look at alternatives and how much actual effort is involved in
them (vs cost) seems prudent.

I guess my thinking is we should try to not be too wasteful with that money,
since while it is R&D money for whatever we need to do the projects, we can
also use some of that money towards general makerspace improvement and
equipment, not just project specific stuff -- since that could be part of
the R&D effort too.

Further delving into the hardware/software in parallel thing: there is
enough software that can be written with a bare arduino + xbee  (no robot
immediately) that having a week of putting hte robot together time is not
going to block anyone. Further, the hardware design will be finished enough
for software development/testing as soon as we have breadboard circuits
working -- no need to wait on PCB and soldering. Basically the choice
between fully formed starting points and diy everything starting points is a
false dichotomy. I am convinced there is a way that isn't as expensive,
involves parallel development and modification of other parts, but is
completely doable.

I appologize for not articulating this as well last night, but I needed to
actually see the parts and prices before I realized that basically a lot of
the pre-fab circuits are just a couple components.

Regards,
Erich