[Gghc-discuss] Proposed initial purchase - too much?

Jonathan Manton jmanton at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 30 18:30:22 CDT 2011

If you want to find different suppliers and alternative parts, go
right ahead.  I tried to figure out how to use the least number of
suppliers (to minimize the cost of 2-day shipping), and only go with
suppliers that had stock and I'd either worked with before or seem to
have a good reputation.  Saving $3 on a cable, then having to pay $8
shipping doesn't save you much.

Keep in mind though that if we're going to have anything to work with
this weekend, then we need to get this thing ordered tonight.  If we
wait until tomorrow, then you're talking one-day shipping, which is a
Bad Thing from a cost perspective, and wipes out any potential
savings.  If we don't have stuff to start doing thing with this
weekend, well, we essentially lose a full week (at least from me), as
I don't have much time during the week to do anything on this stuff.