[Imc-artists] IMC youth art programming

Christina Nordholm cnordholm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:21:16 CDT 2009

Try Craig's list and Freecycle to hunt/ask for donated canvases/and
acrylics/ brushes.
Another great resource is the Lynda Zimmer column in the NewsGazette-
I bet there are amateur artists out there who'd donate semi used
paint/ Don't forget that many craft stores repackage acrylics into
little bottles for craft projects so ask for waterbased paint as well
as saying acrylics/ latex.

Also don't turn your nose up at both interior and exterior house
paint-maybe go to Lowe's Sherwin Wms, etc. to see if they have any
strong colored mis-mixed paints-I bet you can offer them a tax
writeoff for their donation through the IMC -ask about that
possibility before you offer it though!

Another hint is to go to the local Ace Hardware-in Sunnycrest- and buy
some Lestoil-an old fashioned bottle of liquid cleaner which will
clean out even very old hardened latex from brushs, if you soak them
in undiluted Lestoil for a few days. The students could be given a few
of these old brushes if they get donated and take responsibility for
cleaning them for themselves-it's the best lesson in keeping their new
brushes clean that you can give them!

Also, I'll donate two brushes -one old and one new. Sorry, I have no canvases.

But, finally, why restrict them to painting on canvases? Find and help
them find more interesting substrates-such as old car fenders, or
boards, or garbage can lids----or---or--- especially things they find
from their own lives. Then use some of the lighter colored donated
house paints to prime them and you are good to go.

Christina Nordholm (room 212)