[Imc-artists] Re: some art projects

Stephen Fonzo fonzo.stephen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:53:53 CDT 2009

Hi Atef,

There are many resources at the IMC that may be of interest to you, though
the first step you should take is to come and meet others here.  The IMC is
an all-volunteer community media and arts organization, which is made up of
different working groups, each focused on a particular type of media.
Groups meet weekly or nearly weekly and communicate over mailing lists.

Based on the interests you described, there may be three groups here that
can help you realize your goals of a YouTube video project that
documents/instructs viewers on a) visual art and b) non-classical theatre
acting.  I am forwarding this to each of those three groups - Artists,
Production, and Shows - as well as our Program Development Intern Jason
Keist, our building manager Chris Evans, and our Outreach/Development VISTA,
Nicole Pion.  I think we should all meet and discuss your plans, as they may
overlap with current projects and, if your experience is anything like mine
at the IMC, you will meet people who are doing similar things and who can
help.

The Artists Collective (e-mail: imc-artists at lists.chambana.net) manages a
studio work space for artists and offers public workshops on ceramics,
mosaic, painting, wood crafts, and more.  The group also allows IMC artists
to display and sell their work at the IMC.*  *I think that making
instructional videos on visual art would be an excellent project for the
Artists Group, and the Production Group can help facilitate this.  The
Artists are not currently having regularly scheduled meetings, but
contacting them via e-mail is a good start.  There is currently an artist,
Betsem Benjamin, who has been discussing workshops with the IMC.

The Production Group (e-mail: production at ucimc.org) has produced short and
long-form video, IMC Radio News, and sponsored programming onto
public-access TV. The IMC Production Group manages the recording and editing
facilities in the IMC Production Room and offers training and educational
workshops on multimedia production and open-source media software.* *The
group meets every Wednesday at 7pm.  If you or anyone who helps you with
this project can draft a list of what you would need to know to be able to
do the filming, Production can loan the equipment and offer training or
guidance; the direction and execution of the project would be in your hands
to shape as you desire.

Finally, the Shows Group (e-mail: shows at ucimc.org) oordinates booking of
bands and shows for IMC performances and handles temporary performance space
rentals, and trains members in lighting and sound.  This group would be able
to help you book or reserve space for workshops in the main space.  In
particular, you might be interested in utilizing the IMC's stage (concert
and event space) or sun room, a well lit, semi-private room where we
currently have art showings and dance classes.  Shows meets every Thursday
at 7pm.

I hope you will find some of these resources useful.  Many of us are here at
the IMC regularly, several days and nights a week.  When can we all meet to
share ideas and brainstorm?

Thanks for contacting the IMC - we hope to hear from you soon,

Stephen

--
Stephen Fonzo
Media Training Advisor