[Imc-artists] A Vernacular of Dissent exhibit information

Jason Keist jkeist2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:46:36 CDT 2009

Please visit http://vernacularofdissent.blogspot.com/ for a full copy of the
call and further information

Call for Submissions

*A Vernacular of Dissent:**  American Expression and the America of *

*George W. Bush*

May 7 - 9, Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center

It has been widely acknowledged in the United States and abroad that the
past eight years of American politics and

policy have been fraught with controversy and intense opinions ranging from
patriotism to anti-nationalism, support

to demonization. Not only have politics come to the emotional forefront in
the mind of Americans, but for artists it has

become a topic for expression. During the Bush administration artists,
activists, and everyday citizens alike began and

continue to contribute to a developing vernacular of dissent specific to the
previous administration and its vision.  Two

wars, torture, and Guantanamo Bay, among other hotbeds for content, continue
to inspire the creation of both exposi-

tory and activist literature and artwork that deals explicitly with
political issues.

There is a widespread impulse in artistic production and reception to hold
artwork to a timeless standard. As political

artwork is rooted in the present as a reaction to a specific moment in
history, this connection to enduring relevance is

made problematic. What does the displaced status of political art do to the
power its images? What happens to these

images once a specific political condition has passed?

In this exhibition we aim to create an archive of sorts that documents
instances of American dissent. What role does

this recent history play in the formation and realization of ideas of the
now? Does the potency of political art loose

weight now that there is a new administration in Washington? Will America’s
current fascination with the vision of

Hope provided by the incoming administration render these works and their
collective vernacular of dissent as arti-

facts of American hysteria?

For an upcoming exhibition, we will be accepting submissions for any variety
of expression made during, and/or in

response to the past eight years of American political trajectory, as well
as current explorations of contemporary politi-

cal sentiment. Possible submissions may be, but are not limited to,
painting, video, illustration, essays, pamphlets, or

documentation of protests.

*Please submit a proposal that includes documentation, installation
information, and contact information. Documentation may be in the *

*form of, but not limited to: sketches, written material, CD or DVD.  Please
be clear about what, if any, multi-media equipment your work *

*requires.  Submissions should include detailed consideration of display
materials. We have a limited budget for installation and exhibi-*

*tion expenses and will not be able to admit art that is expensive or
excessively difficult to install, no matter how much we’d like to.  Local *

*artists will be asked to help during installation and take down. *

*Curatorial Process:*

*This exhibition will be loosely juried by UIUC BFA students Joe Anderson
and Daryl McCurdy. We would like to be as inclusive as possible, *

*however logistical issues may become a factor. Personal politics and
interest will be set-aside during the selection of work. *

*Please send submissions to:*

*Daryl McCurdy*

*704 W Illinois Street*

*Urbana, IL 61801*

*(Please include a self-addressed and stamped envelope if you *

*would like any materials returned.)*

*OR email submissions to: mccurdy2 at gmail.com*

*Submission Deadline: Thursday, April 17*

*Notification of Acceptance: Monday, April 20*

*Work Due: Monday, May 4*

--
Jason Keist
Program Development  Coordinator-Intern