[Imc-outreach] Re: Coop Teach-In

Pengdust at aol.com Pengdust at aol.com
Wed May 9 09:01:20 CDT 2001

Cooperative Teach-In (as of 5/8/01)

dave p. here (I'm kind of the point man on this project).

The date for the teach-in has been pushed, tentatively, to Sat. Sept. 1
(Labor Day weekend), to give us more organizing time since the list of
participants, and potential ones, is growing. So far we have the Independent
Media Center, On the Job Consulting, Common Grounds Food Coop, Walter
Matherly (he used to work for the Institute for Cooperative Associations in
Somerville, MA as an organizer and consultant), and Moth Light Design
Collective (which I'm a member of) on board. Other contacts, which I'll get
to this week, are: WEFT, the School for Designing Society, Mikhail Brun, and
Peter Miller. With COUCH and FPCS on board that's 6 orgs. so far.

There has been a suggestion to make the event more participatory than just
having people get up and talk, or having tables, and having it in Carle Park.
Something where people can actually participate in a coop briefly to get an
idea of what goes on. It's a good idea

At this point the goals of the event are threefold:

1). To give the orgs an opportunity to do outreach to the local community and
raise visibility, and communtiy involvement
.
2). To give the orgs a chance to network with each other and... "cooperate."
and,

3). To present our experiences, inform others in the community, use these
orgs as examples to spread the cooperative ideal... so that maybe we'll see
new ones will startup as a result.

Also, it would be great if a group would start where the local coops could
meet, occasionally, and share information and such for "survival."

If you have ideas about anything or any other potential participants that I
haven't mentioned here let me know. And, if you'd like to come to the
organizing meeting, by all means do. We meet every other Sun. right now
through the IMC outreach meetings... the next one is Sun. May 20, 11:00 a.m.
at the IMC in Urbana.

Thanks for responding and hope to see you,

dave p.