[Imc-outreach] news regarding farmer's market

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Sun May 20 14:31:58 CDT 2001

Greetings,

As y'all know, I set up the IMC booth yesterday at the Farmer's market.  I
think it was worthwhile as about 12-15 stopped to ask questions and 10-12
folks took fliers. I would recommend that we continue to do this (and other)
public events.

I realize this is the first event there, but I have some ideas for future
outreach events that could make things go more smoothly.  I think there should
be an "outreach event kit" created so as to ease the setup and organization of
future events.  Here's what I suggest putting in the kit:

--A real U-C IMC sign, perhaps on plastic to hang off a table or a
free-standing one.

--chair(s)

--2 (or more) folding tables for photos and other images/displays, handouts,
mailing lists, examples of IMC print media...

--photo stands to save space on tables and make display more pleasing

--listening station(s) including cd player(s) with headphones playing IMC
broadcasts and/or a tape player playing IMC stories.  These could be on
continuous loop or with headphones.

--scotch tape and paper weights to secure posters, fliers and publications.

--Several people asked if t-shirts were available. The booth next to ours sold
t-shirts for donations and we should too.

Some of these items could be gotten at the IMC but some of them need to be
created.  I hope this helps.  I enjoyed doing the farmer's market and regret
that I will not be able to do it again (summer classes start in 2 weeks and I
have a saturday class). Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Thanks.

James Jacobs

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"
"But to live outside the law you must be honest." R.Zimmerman
"Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse
a clear man."
--Benjamin Franklin