[Imc-outreach] how to deal with PDF sharing

Zachary C.Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Tue May 22 12:58:58 CDT 2001

I noticed just now that Cope tried to send some PDFs to this list but
they got caught up in moderation because they were too big. Since they
were both too big and very old I just rejected them.

How does this group want me to deal with this.

a) Large attachments are a pain to deal with for some people whose
mailers don't support attachments well.

b) Large attachments make downloading mail over a dial up VERY slow
and angers some people.

c) Attachments are an easy way to share draft documents.

d) Normally it would be a good idea to just convert to text before
sending to a list to avoid attachment issues (this is what I always
suggest for meeting minutes) but with publications that have important
layout this is harder.

Solutions:

I could up the file size limit so that large attachments go through to
the list automatically and those who get mad be damned.

I could set up a sandbox space on my web server where anyone could
upload a PDF or other file and then just email out the URL rather than
the whole document.