[Imc-outreach] [Imc-info] would you want to show this documentary there? (fwd)

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 22 11:36:55 CDT 2002

fyi:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:02:11 -0700
From: M i c h a e l D e a n <md at kittyfeet.com>
To: info at ucimc.org
Subject: [Imc-info] would you want to show this documentary there?

would you want to show this documentary there?

DIY documentary with Ian MacKaye (Fugazi), Lydia Lunch, Mike Watt
(Minutemen), j Mascis (Dinosaur jr.), Jim Rose (Jim Rose Sideshow), Jim
Thirlwell (Foetus), Richard Kern (Filmmaker), Ron Asheton (Stooges),
Madigan Shive (Bonfire Madigan), Dave Brockie (Gwar) and 25 others

Recently featured on the front page of the San Francisco Examiner:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner_qa/default.jsp?story=n.QA.0403w

"D.I.Y. OR DIE:  HOW TO SURVIVE AS AN INDEPENDENT ARTIST"

-------------------------------
                 Hollywood Sun may 12 (mother's day) Knitting Factory
Hollywood. 7021 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles 323-463-0204

              With: Insecto (my band), Comedienne Alicia B. Dattner, and
(D.I.Y. editor) Miles Montalbano's short film Love and the Monster

-------------------------------
An arts documentary by MICHAEL W. DEAN
http://www.diyod.org

FEATURING interviews with:
Ian MacKaye (Fugazi), Lydia Lunch, Mike Watt (Minutemen), j Mascis
(Dinosaur jr.), Jim Rose (Jim Rose Sideshow), Jim Thirlwell (Foetus),
Richard Kern (Filmmaker), Ron Asheton (Stooges), Madigan Shive (Bonfire
Madigan), Dave Brockie (Gwar) and 25 others

Project has 501 (c) 3 status through San Francisco's Intersection for
the Arts.

OVERVIEW:
A 60-minute film on the methods and motivations of  independent American
artists in different genres and mediums

A celebration of the Underdog. The film profiles a fascinating group of
icons and unknowns working in various media including print, film,
graphic art, performance art and music. The three-dozen interviewees are
mavericks that operate outside of any "studio system", are beholden to
no one, and produce influential, quality art regardless of a continuous
paycheck.

Our basic requirement for inclusion is that all subjects meet at least
three of the following criteria:
1. They do something very unique.
2. They've influenced many people in their respective medium.
3. They make a living at art.
4. They impress the heck out of us.

A main difference between this and other arts documentaries is that the
people included are given face time based on what they say rather than
who they are: The unknowns are given equal weight with the famous
interviewees.

Michael W. Dean
Project director
md at kittyfeet.com