[Imc-outreach] Begining of an orientation Agenda

Radical Librarian radicallibrarian at hellokitty.com
Mon Jun 28 15:00:44 CDT 2004

Hi Kids,

I know that I said I would have a draft agenda out by Friday... But hey three days late ain't too bad. Anyhow this is just a
starting point, that I based on the Agenda that Paul R used back in April 2001. At our meeting Wednesday we should
probably finalize it if we indeed want to have the first orientation on July 17. It's only two weeks away and we definitely
have to start with the PR for it.

Ellen
your frienly radical librarian

U-C IMC Orientation and Introduction
7-17-04 3-5PM

I. Welcome and Introductions (3:00, 15min)
     a. Introduce self, IMC
     b. Give outline of what’s to come
     c. Ask participants to introduce themselves, say:
           i. How the heard about the IMC
           ii. What brought them to the orientation
           iii. What are you looking for, if anything?

II. Brief History and Intro to IMC mov’t (3:15, 10 min)
     a. IMC mov’t starts in Seattle 1999 WTO protest
           i. Need for media to cover protests fairly
     b. Spreads with other protests in 2000:
           i. RNC & DNC
           ii. A16 in DC against IMF and World Bank
           iii. S26 in Prague anti IMF and WB
     c. IMCs open not in conjunction with protest (UCIMC)
     d. UCIMC formed in the Fall of 2000
     e. Opened on Jan. 19 2001
     f. Examples of events and projects

III. Show part of video IMC Infomercial if not too dated (3:25, 15 min)

IV. IMC Membership (3:40, 5 min)
     a. Rationale for memberships
     b. Benefits
          i. Full participation in groups
          ii. Full use of facilities and equipment
          iii. Keeps UC-IMC afloat

V. Tour of Space (3:45, 15 min)

VI. IMC Structure: (4:00, 10 min)
     a. Steering group
          i. meets monthly
          ii. Comprised of 1-2 empowered “spokes” from each working group
          iii. Responsible for major decisions & overall financials
     b. Working groups
          i. Each has area of responsibility
          ii. Has decision making power for area
          iii. Meets at least monthly
          iv. Emphasize groups as learning opportunity
     c. Consensus Democracy
         i. explain

VII. Working Groups (4:10 pm, 50 min) (prioritize by interests of participants)
      a. Finance/Space
      b. Outreach
      c. Tech/Website
      d. Radio
      e. Print
      f. Video
     g. Librarians
     h. Shows
     i. RAGG
     j. RFU

VIII. End, Questions? What next? Staffing? (2:00 pm)