[Imc-supervisors] Training in Springfield today/$1000grant

Susan Porter Bruce susanpbruce at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 16:25:33 CDT 2010

Hi fellow Americorps supervisors,

I accompanied Carol today to the third of three days of training in Springfield. Oh my, what a lot of reporting requirements, what a maze of acronyms!

The session today was largely about time-sheets, audits, and how to avoid getting into trouble. (The consistent refrain from all programs: "We should have had this session in September, not April!")

Yesterday they needed two staffers for double sessions, but as a solo Carol had to go to the one on funding. The program session might have had more content. But there was lots to learn from talking to other programs, especially those who've had Americorps members for years.

I'm writing simply to share my impression with the magnitude of bureaucracy associated with this and compliment Carol on dealing with it. We are a unique group, most others are agencies supported by a host of staffers---and even then it's hard work.

Also, we have an opportunity to get maybe $1000 collectively if we can put together a simple proposal by late Monday on how we can incorporate inclusion into our activities (of people with disabilities, the full range.) It's not people time, but brochures, recruitment, education for members, special events. We can be quite general I hope, then flesh out details later. Any ideas?

Our impression is, they really want to give each program this money, so that it doesn't have to be sent back to the feds. Please send me or Carol ideas and we'll pull something together.

Susan Bruce
believed to be clean.