[Imc-supervisors] Early Exit

JOY imcbooks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:28:46 CST 2010

Hi All,

There was additional discussion regarding this today. A few of the
Americorps stated that they were not aware that this would require a one
year commitment. I wanted to let everyone involved in the discussion know
that I did some additional research and I found this description on our
website at:
http://ucimc.org/content/ucimc-hire-8-state-americorps-fall-applications-requested
.

"These are full-time, one year commitments to serve as a State AmeriCorps.
AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $11,400, student-loan
forbearance, health coverage, and child care for those who qualify. After
successfully completing your term of service, you will receive an AmeriCorps
Education Award of up to $4,725."

Joy

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:33 AM, carol ammons <carolammons at gmail.com>wrote:

> There seems to have been some communication break dow in the beginning of
> the program that needs to be addressed.  I've been asked by several people
> about "finishing hours early".  The contract does not solely represent a
> fixed number of 1700 hours.  The number 1700 hours is the minimal number
> required in addition to completing the terms of agreement starting 10/5/09 -
> 10/4/10.  We are not authorized to exit members early unless circumstances
> would warrant it.  I want to provide each member with their signed contract,
> if they do not have it.  The program does have some leverage to release
> members from contract if the situation truly warrants early releasal.  I
> understand that some may have thought that the term date does not apply as
> long as they minimal hours are accomplished.  This is not correct.  Please
> see our Program Officer message below.
>
> "The contract is a binding agreement.  If they complete their hours early
> they will jeopardize the remaining stipend and education award.  If the
> program allows a member to complete and exit early, it's up to them to
> determine if the member completed satisfactorily.  As for the stipend, they
> would lose the remainder of the payments."
>
> Please let me caution us in this matter.  If the programs authorizes early
> release for its members, there may be some issues on the back end when it
> comes to the next grant period.  It may appear that we do not need members
> in our programs for the entire grant period and it could impact the states
> re-authorization of the grant next year.
>

> Carol Ammons-Program Director
> Americorps/UCIMC
> 202 S. Broadway Avenue
> Urbana, IL 61802