[Imc-supervisors] Early Exit

carol ammons carolammons at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:33:08 CST 2010

There seems to have been some communication break dow in the beginning of
the program that needs to be addressed.  I've been asked by several people
about "finishing hours early".  The contract does not solely represent a
fixed number of 1700 hours.  The number 1700 hours is the minimal number
required in addition to completing the terms of agreement starting 10/5/09 -
10/4/10.  We are not authorized to exit members early unless circumstances
would warrant it.  I want to provide each member with their signed contract,
if they do not have it.  The program does have some leverage to release
members from contract if the situation truly warrants early releasal.  I
understand that some may have thought that the term date does not apply as
long as they minimal hours are accomplished.  This is not correct.  Please
see our Program Officer message below.

"The contract is a binding agreement.  If they complete their hours early
they will jeopardize the remaining stipend and education award.  If the
program allows a member to complete and exit early, it's up to them to
determine if the member completed satisfactorily.  As for the stipend, they
would lose the remainder of the payments."

Please let me caution us in this matter.  If the programs authorizes early
release for its members, there may be some issues on the back end when it
comes to the next grant period.  It may appear that we do not need members
in our programs for the entire grant period and it could impact the states
re-authorization of the grant next year.

Carol Ammons-Program Director
Americorps/UCIMC
202 S. Broadway Avenue
Urbana, IL 61802