[IMC-US] Re: Setting up IMC-US:

Ryan Smith kaldari at monsterlabs.com
Thu Aug 28 13:57:49 CDT 2003

(Disclaimer: I am not an official liason, representative, or
spokesperson for the US IMC project, merely a collaborator and
interested party)

> why don't you follow the example of oceania imc and be a mostly
> syndicated web
> sites ?

Basically, that's the idea:
"The suggested format for the US site is a syndicated newswire of
US-features, much like the global site syndicates features from IMCs
around the world... The features column could include stories published
by US IMCs, articles with information compiled from various US IMCs,
and original pieces written exclusively for the US-IMC website..."
--US-IMC WEBSITE PROPOSAL

> why don't you set up a test site and begin working out the project
> there and in
> the mean time you do the outreach and so on ?

US IMC syndication test site: http://staughton.indymedia.org/~ski/us.htm
Outreach: All US IMCs have been contacted and invited to participate
(most multiple times). At the moment I would guess a dozen or so IMCs
are interested in actively collaborating on this project and many
others have expressed support for it. The proposal has also been
published and discussed on the global indymedia site. If any IMC in the
US doesn't know about this project yet, they're just not paying
attention :)

Hope that alleviates some of your concerns. I think you'll find that a
lot of legwork has already gone into this project and I don't think
anyone is trying to push things through prematurely. Of course the
new-imc process probably wasn't designed with projects like this in
mind, so I can understand that we'll run into some roadblocks along the
way.

Ryan Smith, Tennessee IMC