[IMC-US] Re: [imc-us-process] debate

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Wed Jul 9 16:02:44 CDT 2003

Hi all,

> Andy, et al

I think this argument sets up a false dichotomy between US-Centric and
Internationalist reporting.  A US IMC website will be what _we_, the
people participating in the project, make of it.  And it is certainly in
our power to connect local, regional, national, and international stories
and perspectives.  If those who are active in the website are interested
in internationalist reporting, then the website will reflect this.  In
this vein, I would invite Frank, Andy, or anyone else who is concerned
that this project would simply be a venue for preaching to the choir to be
involved in the project and help ensure that it encompasses a more
holistic perspective on the news.  I do agree with the critique that we
need to make sure to tie US news to its global repercussions -- I'm
confident that by identifying this concern early that we will avoid the
pitfall of becomming yet another US-centric/isolationist news source.

Given all the recent discussions on various lists, websites, etc., I will
be formulating a new draft of the proposal to incorporate many of the
issues raised.  This will be the fourth full draft and should be out
within the next day or two.

In solidarity,

--Sascha Meinrath
Urbana-Champaign IMC