[IMC-US] The "USA" Label for the New Site

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Jun 17 11:35:50 CDT 2003

Hi Andy,

After our discussions about using USA -- it was agreed to go with the
simpler "US" monicker.  Another main point that was discussed is that any
IMC that wished to opt out of being a part of the IMC-US collaboration
could do so.  This would allow for local decision-making in terms of
whether to be a part of a national IMC collective.  As to your example
concerning Hawai'i IMC -- I think it's a decision best left up to the
Hawai'i IMC collective; if they wish to opt out of joining a US project no
one is going to be angry with them.

In terms of what the US IMC would be, I think the way it's being set up
addresses the very question of self-determination you rightfully raise.
It would be a collective of collectives -- where decisions about whether
(and how) to be involved are left to local IMCs.  It would be more of a
_resource_ that's made available to interested IMC -- an information
dissemination point for stories, and a communications network for
IMC-istas.

Hope this alleviates your concerns,

In solidarity,

--Sascha Meinrath