[imc-us-process] Re: [IMC-US] The "USA" Label for the New Site

michael medow mmedow at umich.edu
Tue Jun 17 13:13:22 CDT 2003

Regarding the question of the "US-IMC" name, I think another way of looking
at this problem is not just from the perspective that individual IMCs could
choose not to participate in a US-IMC, but also that they could, if they
felt so inclined, choose to build an new IMC that could provide an
alternative mechanism for covering territory currently occupied by the USA.
For example, we could have a US-IMC but at the same time have an
IMC-Aztalan.

I work with the Michigan IMC but I've never had any pretensions about
holding any indymedia sovereignty over the territory that is Michigan. So
long as they carried good intentions, I would never block the development of
an IMC-Upper Peninsula or an IMC-Detroit. These would merely be resources
that could exist to complement the already existing Michigan IMC.

I support a US-IMC not because I support the USA, but because I recognize
that the USA is a common condition that everyone living within the USA has
to deal with. And a US-IMC will be a powerful tool for activists living in
the territory currently occupied by the USA.

Furthermore, I challenge anyone to provide an example of a nation-state that
was constructed through means that would be considered legitimate by all. I
don't believe this is possible and in that sense, I feel that every IMC
would fail this litmus test. I think we would be applying exceptional
standards to apply this test to the USA.

hope that contributed something constructive to this debate.

mike