[IMC-US] website ideas

Ryan Smith kaldari at monsterlabs.com
Mon Jun 23 15:29:50 CDT 2003

> i would hope that part of the design of a website like this would also
> be an opportunity to take into account searching and making it not
> about information overload but about users finding the information
> that most meets their need.  this kind of filtering has been talked
> about in multiple places over the years.  i think this website could
> really do some innovative design in this area.

Even though this issue may be a bit premature to discuss, I would
strongly encourage potential us-tech people to examine both
news.google.com and slashdot.org for ideas about how IMC software can
be improved for use at the national/international level. news.google is
probably the best news syndication site on the internet and slashdot
has a very mature and effective moderation system (plus its engine is
open source). Once the US IMC gets rolling, we should have a serious
software brainstorming session before anything gets implemented
(including both tech and non-tech people). But like I said, I'm
probably jumping the gun since we haven't even finished the proposal
yet. I'm just too damn enthusiastic I suppose :)

Ryan Smith, Tennessee IMC