[IMC-US] Re: founding documents for IMC-US

SuZQ suzq at riseup.net
Fri Sep 19 06:06:01 CDT 2003

Thank you, Nick.

We've been having the same discussion in Europe (I'm currently based in
Switzerland for the next few months) with several suggestions.  One, of
course, is secure IRC, with invitations sent out enough in advance to
allow for response from collectives where members don't have much internet
access.  Another suggestion is to use mailing lists for discussion, but to
keep messages brief and the process going slow, and to keep the language
simple or to provide translations, in order to allow for people who don't
speak English as a first language.  I suggested using conference calls,
with representatives of each IMC participating, but that idea didn't go
over so well because of concerns about security.  The idea that caught on
the most, was to coordinate regional meetings that coincide with things
that mediactivists are going to anyway (such as the recent "Next 5
Minutes" festival in Amsterdam or the various People's Global Action
conferences).  The minutes of these regional meetings would be posted on
Wiki pages at docs.indymedia.org for further coordination and later
reference.  Perhaps something like a spokescouncil structure would be in
order, to avoid domination by any one region.

Peace,
Susanna