[IMC-US] banner idea

SuZQ suzq at riseup.net
Tue Sep 30 04:47:23 CDT 2003

Hi.  I would strongly recommend having the logo both in English and in
Spanish, and using the original mission statement:

"The Independent Media Center is a network of collectively run media
outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of
the truth.  We work out of a love and inspiration for people who continue
to work for a better world, despite corporate media's distortions and
unwillingness to cover the efforts to free humanity."

"CMI-EEUU
Centro de Medios Independientes de lost Estados Unidos
Los Centros de Medios Independientes son una red de activistas sociales
que producen diversos tipos de medios para la creaci'on de formas
radicales, apasionadas y objetivas de decir la verdad.  Trabajamos con el
amor y la inspiracion que nos da la gente que contin'ua trabajando por un
mundo mejor, a pesar de las distorsiones y el desinter'es de los medios
corporativos por cubrir los esfuerzos por una humanidad libre."

(this is quoted from the CMI Colombia mission statement.  Where I have an
" ' ", that means that there should be an accent over the following letter.
Darn ASCII characters!)

The United States has 27 million native Spanish speakers and many of our
IMCs in the US are bilingual.  It's not just a matter of political
correctness but of reality.  IMC US should reflect that.

I would also recommend taking out the phrase, "hundreds of journalists":
during Genoa, Italy Indymedia has 2.5 million viewers per hour, and every
viewer is a potential journalist.