[IMC-US] PROPOSAL: Defining decision making ont he site (deadline 1/12/05)

bht bht at indymedia.org
Wed Dec 29 12:30:20 CST 2004

I would like to add a bit to the section "how it works"
http://indymedia.us/en/static/howitworks.shtml

currently there are three points a out how the site works, it doesnt offer
anything about how changes are made to the site and how decision are made.
 portland indymedia uses this clause:

All working groups recognize that the contribution of an individual's
labor is a prerequisite for participation in the decision making process
of a working group or at a portland indymedia general meeting. Individuals
who are not committing tangible labor to a portland indymedia working
group are encouraged to share their views but may not "block" a consensus.

I would like to add something quite similar to the indymedia.us working
group, something like "indymedia.us working group ecognizes that the
contribution of an individuals labor is a prerequisite for decisionmaking
pertaining to the indymedia.us website.  Individuals not committing
tangible labor, through site design, tech support, editorial work, etc.
are encouraged to share their views, but may not prevent the indymedia.us
site from moving in the direction that committed individuals agree upon."

that is wordy and it sounds bad, forgive my lack on conciseness in
guidelines :-)

basically, as I stated in a previous mail, there are only a handful of
folks that are committing tangible labor to the site, and really try to
make it viable.  right now it is just another website tha tis muddled from
lack of vision but looks really nice.

lets do something with it.  I am putting a deadline on this proposal for
the 12 of January.  I dont know the best course to get people to really
discuss what they want this site to be, but I want the folks that are
doing alot of work on it (and admittedly, I am not one of them) to be able
to make decisions without worry of all these silent email addys on the
list.

the next mass usage of this site will probably be the inaugural.  have
people thought about what role this site will play for that?

so, i think i have exhausted my point.
bht