[IMC-US] Re: Acorn Active Media Worker Collective Offer

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at indymedia.org
Mon Jan 5 16:57:09 CST 2004

I don't really have a fear of slippery slopes. As long as you're
willing to stop the process when it's gone awry and admit you've made
a mistake, then it's not so slippery. Anyway, inaction can be just as
slippery. I support the proposal based on the following assumptions
and one revision, even though I have concerns with how it was
presented.

I think this proposal exaggerates what's being requested, so I don't
think it's a very big deal. I would oppose an exchange of some sort
of puff piece "look at this wonderful organization" type of feature
for a service. But we would undoubtedly have our first feature be
about the launch of the site, and that would include mention of where
it came from and who made it happen. That information would also - I
hope and assume, since it's standard for any website - be presented
in a static "about us/history" page. I don't think the time stamp of
the initial feature should be changed to guarantee that it stays on
the front page for two weeks.

As for the permanent link, I assume all we're talking about is a line
like we see on the global site where it says at the bottom of the
left-hand column, "IMC technlogy by Mir and IMC Geeks" except it
would say and link to DadaIMC and Acorn Active Media. That sort of
information is also standard to present on the front page of a
website.

Based on those assumptions about what exactly is being requested and
the revision regarding the time stamp, I would support this proposal
(as an individual). However, I think that its proponents have
responded to its opponents defensively. I respect and share the
strong desire to move the project forward but Indymedia has always
moved cautiously and you can't have assumed that everyone would
simply cheer for or tacitly consent to this proposal. There was
little or no discussion on the imc-us-tech list, so there was not
much chance to anticipate people's valid concerns.

For instance, no one has addressed Don's argument that Indymedia is
constantly supported anonymously, including through editorial work.
Why is this case different? Why is AAM only willing to do this
critical task in exchange for publicity, while editors, newswire
moderators, outreach organizers, graphic designers and fundraisers go
uncredited? Again, I think the 'acknowledgements' as I described them
above are standard web practice, but I would like to see more picking
up and responding to specific concerns rather than just saying, this
is the best way forward let's go.

In solidarity, from the belly of the beast and the home of the 2004
Republican National Convention,
Josh