[IMC-US] open publishing and the us imc

bht bht at indymedia.org
Sun Jul 18 19:00:12 CDT 2004

John has raised the question of what role open publishng was going to play
on us-imc.  I will attempt to answer that, and please all others that have
an alternate view of the way I understand things, correct it.

I understand that we came to some sort of agreement that us imc would NOT
have open publishing directlyon the site.  WE had decided to have a
"PUBLISH" link that would go to a list of local IMC's and/or a page about
what open publishing is.

Since John brought into question whether or not this aligns with the imc's
creed of open publishing, I would like to make a proposal/suggestion,
discussionpoint.

I would like to propose that we have a system similar to global imc.
Where the front page has the syndicated local feature and somewhere near
the top of the site have an "open publishing/publish" link.

This link would direct the user to a page that briefly explains what open
publishing is and urge them to publish locally relevant news to a local
imc.  On this page would also be a link that says something like "publish
a story on this site" and then direct the user to the common publish page.

I think this would help for all things.  However, please break it down and
tear it apart.

bht
portland
ps.  if any of this isnt understood email me or ask clarifying questions
and I will be more than willing to go into further detail.