[IMC-US] Re: [Imc-europe-commwork] [Fwd: [Fwd: RE: [IMC-Satellite] Indymedia Newsreal Tour Grant Proposal]]

boud boud1 at wp.pl
Sun Jun 13 13:46:43 CDT 2004

<cross-post imc-europe,imc-us at lists.cu.groogroo.com>

hi,
A message was sent to imc-europe-commwork here:

http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-europe-commwork/attachments/20040613/79d55716/IMC-SatelliteIndymediaNewsrealTourGrantProposal.mht

(start from
http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-europe-commwork/2004-June/000279.html
and click on the URL at the bottom if is broken in this message)

 i'm not sure if this is really relevant to imc-europe, since (at
least to me) it's not clear what (if anything) is being requested from
indymedia, and it's clearly fairly USA-nationalistic:

"Broadcast nationwide",
"a national audience",
"aired nationwide",
"across the nation",
"national distribution",
"aired nationwide on Free Speech TV",
"will be broadcast nationwide",
"national progressive",
"will be aired nation-wide on FSTV",

and "the country" is also used 9 times - but "USA" exists nowhere, and
"the US" exist only twice - so it's probably more relevant to IMC
US. People who want to see more about IMC US, you'll find links to the
organising process, mailing lists, etc etc on the twiki:

http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/NewImcUSProcess

(Yes, yes, there were concerns about the idea of having IMC US, mostly
about nationalism etc - these are listed on the page - and a more
up-to-date discussion of concerns and solutions is on this wiki:

http://brainstorm.ucimc.org/ucimcWiki/imc-us )

Anyway the text is about some group calling itself "Indymedia
Newsreal" and wanting to do a tour of the US and asks funds from two
groups - but it doesn't seem to be a request for indymedia funds. Some
people seem uncomfortable that there's the name "indymedia" involved -
probably because it's involved with encouraging people to vote and
doesn't seem to be very grassroots and probably the communication is not
(so far anyway) very clear.

http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/ImcVideo leads to
#  North American Newsreal
http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Global/NewsReal
which doesn't say much about this project.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, azalai wrote:

> Hi!
> Blank from Portland IMC wants to share this information with as many
> people from the network as possible, so we could know what is being
> planned. It's been forwarded as well to the imc-process list.

i can't see it in the imc-process archive. Where is it? Or maybe it's just
waiting moderation.

> On my part just a comment: I wouldn't like Indymedia's name to be used
> for this shitty thing!
>
> marais

IMHO, before "sharing the information with as many people from the
network as possible", it makes sense to try to find out a bit more,
e.g. find out if they are integrated into IMC US. Anyway, i've added
what info i could find.

i can't find any request on imc-finance.

If the group has problems integrating with existing IMCs in the USA,
then their ambition to try to do a tour of local IMCs and help people
network is a bit strange.

And their web page - with the same text - has no URLs to mailing lists
or the indymedia twiki or any other form of electronic participative
decision-making, so there are clearly some big communication problems:

http://deproduction.org/Mobilize_Draft6.htm

Anyway, maybe imc-us people might want to discuss this among
yourselves - (or send this to imc-us-process - that's your business :)
- probably the people involved have the right intentions, and just
have communication problems?

pozdr
boud (imc pl volunteer)

PS: While i agree that voting in national democracies is not a high
priority, IMHO chomsky is right regarding the marginal difference
between Kerry and Bush: the difference is tiny, but a tiny positive
difference which affects 6 billion people is something worth giving
*some* (not top, but some) priority.